Click here if you are having website access problems ×

new tonneau

Englishmaninwales

Good luck. One of the most irritating things to fit! Consolation is that it seems to work very well even if it does not end up looking as tight as a drum.

Best tip is to get it wet and allow it to shrink slightly then fit it on a reasonably warm day as the size changes a lot depending on temperature. Too cold and it sags later on a hot day.

I presume you've the fitting instructions. Do not forget the old adage-measure twice so you only drill once!

Bruce

librally cover the area to be drilled with masking tape and leave it on untill youve done the rivits (around the popper anyway) this should save you marking the paint (if you have any) - obviously take it off in the popper area cos you wont be able to after.

Don't panic. It is an easy job. Just take your time and you'll be fine. Work from the centre outwards.

Do watch out for the steel chassis strut behind the alloy skin on the front lowermost poppers; you need a good drill and a steady hand. I was concerned that the alloy might squeeze in and dent when I riveted it but actually it is fine.

toatally agree with Julian, take your time, make sure the tonneau is warm and use plenty of masking tape. Another useful tip. Put a very small grommet down the drill bit so it buts against the chuck. If the drill does go through the skin quicker than you anticipated its not going to gouge great lumps out of your paintwork. If only I'd heeded that advice *confused*

*thumbup*