Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Someone help please. Problems with new Emerald, engine won't start!!!!

I.Mupferit

BIG problems, can someone pleeeeeze help me.

Just finished the car after huge winter upgrade and have the following problems:-

Had a loom made up to connect the new Emerald ECU and checked out continuity from all plugs to the appropriate pin of the ECU plug.

Engine is a 2L Zetec BTW.

There is power to the ECU as indicated by the red LED and initially it didn't seem to read the crank rotation as the LED simply remained glowing whilst cranking.

Spoke to PC who suggested I check the trigger was the Ford 36-1 pattern which it was and after trying to reload a different map then back to the correct one it appeared to read the rotation as the LED now flashes whilst cranking and the laptop was showing a cranking speed of nearly 300 rpm.

Then checked for sparks at the plugs and found we had zilch on 1 & 4 but a weakish spark on 2 & 3. I'm sure the injectors are working as there is a smell of petrol whilst cranking with the plugs out, but not the slightest hint of the engine firing.

The ECU is ok I think as we tried loading up a K series map then trying it in Andy Macs car. It worked fine! So back to the Zetec map and in fact tried 2 totally different Zetec maps but still bugger all.

I'm pretty sure the loom is ok (built by the guy who makes looms for ProDrive, from Emerald diagram) so what the hell can it be?

I'm really getting to the end of my tether as with various delays along the way I haven't driven my car since last November and I am now a desperate man.

All help gratefully received or failing that a simple guide to Euthanasia would do!

The combined brains of Andy, Steve Motts, son Ben (thanks guys) plus my own meagre contribution can't seem to get to the bottom of this, so any ideas pleeeeeezzzzzze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by - brent chiswick on 9 May 2003 22:40:26

Edited by - brent chiswick on 9 May 2003 22:43:21

Yeah, but you didn't tell me how to get round the problem though *wink*

I ended up speaking to Karl at Emerald and he deduced that the ECU is, most likely, faulty as even with the 'Twin Coil' enabled I still couldn't get any spark from 1 pair. I swapped over the coil drives to eliminate the coil pack as the rogue and sure enough the other pair of plugs sparked ok.

Having checked continuity and pin connections for the 99th time, the only possible answer seems to be the ECU as we just couldn't get the 2nd bank to fire. ☹️

I am now back from the depths of despair and taking the philosophical approach ie, "F**k it I'm going up the pub".

The really sad thing is that my wife is away this week and I had the chance for a totally selfish 7 immersed 7 days! How bloody unfair is that? 🙆🏻

I am sending the ECU back to Karl on Monday and will, hopefully, receive it back on Wednesday, so The Phoenix in the car this week is still a remote possibility.

Thanks to everyone for their help, Andy, Steve & Oily. I will let you know how it goes.

BTW Steve, my wife nicked my mobile this morning so if you try and ring can you call me on the landline.

Brent

Bloody thing won't start ☹️

Brent,

I don't have your landline number.

I am fully booked for Monday/Tuesday but "should" be about on Wednesday.

If you need a hand - give me a call and I'll pop over.

Oh, if it makes you feel better......it rained a little at Brooklands today.....only a little though *tongue*

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Remember - an Amateur built the Ark - It took Professionals to build the Titanic!

Brent,

I have just been going through the same scenario with my K series,sent the ECU back to Emerald and they tested it and pronounced it OK.

Have you tried reversing the wires from the crank sensor? if it is a 2 wire one,this seemed to work for me!

I too had problems with coils seeming to be on all the time..are you taking the tacho feed from coil 1 wire or from the designated tacho output? I have a feeling the tacho was providing an earth for coil 1 and once this was removed it disappeared.

Hmmm *confused* the crank sensor is a 2 wire and I haven't tried reversing them and yes I am taking the tacho feed from the designated pin.

I hadn't fitted the loom, as such, preferring to leave that until I was satisfied the engine ran ok and, in fact, the last times I tried to start it the tacho wire wasn't connected so I don't believe that is an issue in this particular case.

What are you using to drive your tacho now?

Having spoken to Karl, he has agreed to put the ECU and my complete loom on his engine simulator test bed so I think for peace of mind and for the sake of another 3 days I will still go that route. At least that way I should have a fully working system when he returns it (need a fingers crossed emoticon)

Brent

Bloody thing won't start ☹️

Spoke to Karl today and he has diagnosed the main problem as being a duff transistor causing a distinct lack of sparks on 2 cylinders!

Anyhow, has been replaced and is now winging its way back to me (please God) so hoping to fire up after work tomorrow.

A collective 'fingers crossed' around 6.30pm tomorrow please guys! *thumbup*

Brent

Brent,

If all else fails, I've got a "spare" crossflow engine sitting in the garage.

I don't think it will be too much of a job to convert your car to crossflow power.

You might need to strengthen your rear axle though....

Oh, and upgrade your alternator a few times *smile*

😬 😬 😬

Give me a dizzy with points anytime *tongue*

Steve

Se7en-Up!

Less is more!

Remember - an Amateur built the Ark - It took Professionals to build the Titanic!