Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Too embarrased to ask "upstairs"

Can one "lift" an engine ? With two people ? Or do you need some sort of crane type thing ?

If you leave an engine lying around for a bit (few months) does it damage it ?

Was thinking of buying one for the pedal car, but now worry I won;t be able to get it home and if I do it might rust *confused*

I'm afraid I'm technically inept, so can't answer directly. However, I seem to remember seeing a post upstairs in the last few weeks whereby somone has bought themselves an engine crane, and is willing to rent it out to fellow blatchatters (£20 per week or month rings a bell?). I'll see if I can track it down.

Pat and his not quite black and white cat

I wouldnt recommend it, for a start you'd probable end up hurting your back but more importantly you could drop the engine! In theory if the engine is complete it shouldnt rust as the internal components are air tight and the outside is exposed to the weather anyway,

hope that helps

You're only suppose to blow the blo*dy doors off *wink*

When engines are delivered from Caterham they are mounted in two little frames that acts as a set of handles and also keeps the sump off the floor. Caterham in theory ask for the frames back but most people just get to keep them so anyone in your area who built their own car (with the same engine) will have a pair lurking amongst the spiders at the back of their garage.

When you take delivery of a kit you get to help the delivery man carry the engine into your garage, my K series really was surprisingly light. The chasis was the heavy bit.

Paul

You should be able to move a K' series around and in and out of car boots with just the pair of you (if you are a bit meaty) as it's an all alloy engine and quite light, don't try it with an iron engine unless you like the taste of your own scrotum ! Engine cranes are the best way to lower an engine gently into an engine bay or if you are handy with a welder an old childs swing frame strengthened and made wider with a small block and tackle also works well (thats what I use !) You should be fine leaving an engine for a while providing it is well sealed up and preferably indoors.

NB - I knew you would have some words of wisdom - you forgot to mention the 'if there is a difficult few bolts to undo that you are not entirely sure will let the engine fall onto the floor get a poor sap who knows nothing about mechanics to get under the car and do it while two of you support the engine with a bit of old angle iron and rotted rope' - not that I'm bitter.

I don't know what you were worried about. A-series engines including the gearbox would only have caused broken ribs, punctured lungs, possible spinal injuries and maybe a touch of internal bleeding should it have landed on you all of which would have been preferable to damaging the gearbox had it hit the floor ! (you're never going to let that one go are you !)