Click here if you are having website access problems ×

r300 running in query

donkey kong

am i right in thinking that rover run up each engine on their testbed before dispatching them,so negating the need for running in !!!.I do remember once someone having a sl at a sunday dyno session at dave walker's featured in CCC,and this guy's car was producing a good 10bhp more than a normal sl,the reason? he had caned the car from day 1, any thoughts?????

Hmmm no running in done by Rover I believe.

General advice seems to be keep it below 4000 RPM for the first thousand miles. OCcasional excursions above this probably aren't too bad and may acutally help but make sure that the oil is right up to temperature before doing that. This will probably require at least 15 minutes of driving before it is nice and runny.

Thrashing the nuts off it from day one is an approach that I have heard recommended before but I would hesitate to do so myself. I don't believe that it is good practice to thrash the 🙆🏻 of it from day one.

But also if you mother the engine too much when running in it may never realise its true potential.

I am in the process of "running in" my R300 and frankly its a pain in the 🙆🏻

What is obviouse early on is the engine and especialy the gearbox were very "tight". I have now logged some 500 miles and box is freeing up to a point where I am now pushing 4500 rpm, ocasionally higher *mad*

R300 NUT

I did 300 miles <4000 rpm then another 300 miles of about upto 6000rpm but still keeping it below 4000 unless there was a great need for it - then at 600 miles all hell broke loose!

Only the R500 gets run in before delivery.

See X777CAT here

FWIW, I kept it below 4000 for the first 500 miles (and service), then upto 5 - 5.5K for the next 2 -300 miles. I then progessively went higher and higher up the revs and having now completed just over 1300 miles now, have finally used all the revs.

Not that I'm saying any of this is correct, but I like to at least give the engine a fighting chance at the start of it's life *smile*

Soft cut limiter kicks in very soon after all the shift lights start flashing in case anyone is interested!

SteveP

Edited by - SteveP on 2 May 2003 11:17:54

fred, did you use the method you mention or would you do it that way next time!............ the way caterham recommend to run them in is fine if you want a car that will be still be running at 150 thousand miles!!!!!!!!!!!!,but i think work will commence on upgrading before 15 thousand is up 😬