Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to remove a windscreen?

Charles Griffin

I need to remove my windscreen to replace the rubber strip which it rests on. The two nuts which secure each side bracket are obstructed by a thin black metal plate which appears to be held in place by black self-tappers into the frame - I'm not keen on removing these until I know what else they might be fixed to. I also want to avoid dropping nuts, washers, etc into the void behind the cockpit side lining. All ideas gratefully received.

if the black plates are inside the car then they are knee protectors, untighten and remove, there is a black rubber trim strip behind this which just slots into place (its a bit but not a lot fiddly to put back first time) behind that are two lock nuts which hold the stanchions in place, just undo, mine has a channel below so they shouldn't go anywhere, anyway the socket will hold them, youll find two wires one on each side these are for the heated screen, you need to cut the spade connector off the windscreen side to get them through the holes, then crimp a new one on when refitting, the windscreen rubber is just pull off, its a bastard to get back on though you need loads of fairy liquid and then you can curse and swear as you try and get it flush and the cut lines propper. There are other threads which describe the rubber strip bit better than I can, I was lucky, it worked ok first time *biggrin*

Charles, the most frustrating part of the job is to get the rubber to sit flat on the scuttle. Do not cut the rubber before fitting it. I made this mistake and tried to trim it to match the old one. Fit the screen and then trim the rubber.

Agree with the above you do NOT need to snip the heated window wires.

Good luck.

*thumbup*