Click here if you are having website access problems ×

crossflow starter

Westfield

I have just managed to find a good specification Crossflow (thanks Richard!) for my Westfield. The new engine has a pre-engaged type of ring gear so I would like to use a pre-engaged starter. The problem is that the pre engaged starter that came with the engine wont fit as the solenoid fouls the exhaust manifold. I have been to the motor factors to see if they do a starter with the solenoid in a different position only to find that the only other alternative is to have the solenoid hanging down below the line of the sump! Not a good idea..

Before I change the ring gear to an inertia type, does anyone know of a starter that would fit?

Thanks

Tony

Dont know about the exhaust layout on a Westie, but in my experience pre-engaged starters from early Ford Sierras fit on a Caterham. There are 2 types - one has a longer body than the other, but both work OK. It might be worth a trip to your local scrappers as a starting point.

Thanks Alan. I already have a Caterham starter which I think is the Sierra type. Due to the design of the Westy manifold it wont fit, the solenoid fouls the down pipes. I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I will be going back to the inertia type unless someone has any other ideas…

Tony

Tony, there were two types of pre-engaged starters, a normal and a small diameter type, don't have dimensions, but is it just a case of needing a bit more clearance?

Unless the manifold is a very old design I am surprised that it has this limitation, you could try a post in 'that other place', after all, in this area they are the experts!

I believe either Demon Tweeks or Burtons do a new type of "geared" starter motor to fit the crossflow which is tiny, ie less than a third the size, when compared to the standard item. also has the advantage of being lighter and requiring less current to operate. Not sure of the costs though

I believe either Demon Tweeks or Burtons do a new type of "geared" starter motor to fit the crossflow which is tiny, ie less than a third the size, when compared to the standard item. also has the advantage of being lighter and requiring less current to operate. Not sure of the costs though

Thank you all for the replies. I have decided to go back to the inertia type starter so I have changed the starter ring gear today. By a stroke of luck the local engine reconditioner had a ring gear, old stock. He supplied and fitted for £20!

Just putting the engine in today, cant wait to give it a try!!

Thanks

Tony