Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 series starter motor

Dr M Cook

Please help

A few weeks ago the car refused to turn over on the starter and a blown fuse was diagnosed

All was OK till today when the car refused to start again -all fuses were OK

Starter motor refused to turn until direct current was applied. From then on car started every time it was tried but surely the problem will return

No security system is fitted at the present time

So is it the starter motor or solenoid

What should i do

All ideas -- polite ones ! gratefully accepted

PS who can tell me about a meet in switzerland in July ?

After lots of frustration and wasted time and money involving heat wrap and a replacement starter the relay trick worked for me. Get a relay from Halfords (the sort sold for switching fog lights etc) and put it in the low current circuit to the solenoid. You'll need to make up a couple of cables to run 12v direct from the battery to the relay (I put a fuse in line too) and another from the relay to the solenoid. Then reroute the existing solenoid cable to the relay. Mount the relay on the the bulkhead or similar. Problem solved.

Martin

Be a little bit careful though.

The fault is very often the starter solenoid's internal coil feed to the lucar terminal coming unsoldered.

If you want to test your relay just rig up a 30A flick switch from the battery to the solenoid and run it like that "overriding" the key and std relay for a bit. If it still gives trouble it isn't the supply.

Mike...

THOUGHT YOU DIDN'T WANT TO KNOW US?.. but glad to see you are back.

I have an unfitted relay kit (currently, I'm one handed) which you are most welcome to borrow and I could bring it to the Six Bells on Thursday - just let me know before hand.

Alternatively, if you want to pop over to the farm before hand, then fine - just phone (tel 01444 892127).

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Thanks very much for all the information

As a check I have installed a starter switch as suggested, in order to make use of the car this weekend and to try and source the fault

Thanks for the offer of a trial solenoid John. Did try to ring you sat afternoon but no reply.. Regret will be out of country working so will not be at next meeting .. Hope to see you soon

Thanks everyone ! *smile*

Sorry I missed your call... one handed boredom had me going to Sainsbury's with Susan, just for something to do.

Mike, the offer still stands,to borrow or replace the relay kit. My stitches don't come out until end of the month, so I will not be looking to fit it for at least a month.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine