Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shoulder strap installation. New build help

Peter_V

I'm installing the shoulder straps on my 420R SV and could do with some advice please.

The belts each come with a bolt, plain washer, crinkle (wavey) washer, top hat and a cardboard washer!

The build manual is pretty random but I think the stack order is Bolt, washer, harness,  crinkle washer and then top hat.  No idea about the cardboard washer.  

CC have pre-drilled the boot cover, which includes an aluminium strip sandwiched inside, with holes large enough to take the bolts but not the top hat. This means the top hat will be sitting on top of the boot cover fabric. It seems strange that a safety device is torqued down onto fabric.  Is this correct or do I need to make the holes larger so the top hat sits on the metal cross member underneath? I can't find a clear picture in any of the build blogs.

Advice appreciated. 

Many thanks

Peter.

I think your order is correct and yes my top hat sits on top of the boot cover. This enables the harness to swivel, the crinkle washer simply stops it rattling and the boot cover will sit flush with the chassis rail. I can’t see how it would work if you put the top hat under the boot cover…..

I beleive you are correct - but keep in mind that the bolt stack is passing through the boot cover fabric and then through a substantial aluminium bar and into the chassis. Don't know if this helps : Link

Cardboard washer is discarded.

8 hours ago, Peter_V said:

Excellent help everyone, thank you.   I just didn't want to get it wrong and have to remove the roll bar. 

Assume you have a standard rollbar…. otherwise, if you’ve a track day one, you won’t be able to get the bolts in as the diagonal will get in the way and *will* have to remove it!

6 minutes ago, BigCol said:

Assume you have a standard rollbar…. otherwise, if you’ve a track day one, you won’t be able to get the bolts in as the diagonal will get in the way and *will* have to remove it!

I used slightly shorter bolts which just squeezed in under the diagonal but were still long enough to extend past the chassis tube by ~4 threads.  The bolts supplied with my kit were much longer than needed.

Thanks. Following advice here I fitted the bulkhead carpet, made holes for the harness bolts in the vinyl strip and re fitted the boot cover over the top. I then fitted the shoulder harness stacks. That enabled me to fit the track day roll bar. I haven't glued the carpet down yet as I need to access the upper damper bolts but really happy how it's going.

• Like 1