Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre size on 8 inch rims

Mark Widdup2

I've just finished refurbing a staggered set of 8 KN 8 spokes in gloss black ready to fit. Id planned to fit some 205 avon CR28s rears as even with 205s my car will be massively over rubbered as a Roadsport 120  ex academy car. Many tyre checkers seem to indicate 205 is too narrow for an 8 inch rim and CR28s are a narrower style tyre also but I just wondered whether others run 205 and are there any issues. I'm not that fussed about form over function so wouldn't want to go any bigger unnecessarily so might just stick with my 6 inch wheels rather than lug around big heavy 8 inch wheels and super wide tyres just for appearance and neither would I want to compromise safety running the wrong tyres.

Many thanks

205's will fit just fine... however IME they will take away the playful agility of your car and create even more understeer (ask me how I know....) 🙂 

If it's just for looks, I'd install some longer wheel studs and use 6x13's with spacers so that the wheels fill the arches a little better.

Also, I'm not sure about what section CR28's are, but tyres like R88R's which have a taller sidewall fill the arches better than Avon ZZS etc which are low profile. 

On 20/03/2024 at 11:34, 7 wonders of the world said:

If your car is under steering I would take a look at the entire set up....there areanyany reasons for this... An extra 1/2 of rim width will not make a snap change in the handling. 

Going from 6" to 8" rims is a 2" difference... not sure where you get 1/2" from. In any case, it's the tyres that make the car handle differently, and IME (and in many others) when fitting 205 or 215 section tyres to lower powered cars it takes away the playful agility of them and makes them understeer into corners. This is especially noticeable on track. 

My reference was to the 1/2 extra rim width above the recommended rim width from Toyo which was a point made by the OP. 

Although the extra tyre section 185mm to 205mm will reduce the ability to balance the car on the throttle on lower powered cars it's not going to induce instant understeer. 

The extra rake gained by fitting of 205/60 can be beneficial to the front end though you do get a reduction in castor... But since you didn't specify where you gained understeer I cannot be more specific.