Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight bracket not fitting "correctly"

Hello from Canada!

I have 2005 Imperial chassis car (SLR). I recently purchased (from Redline) the newer style headlight brackets used on the current cars. Other owners have done this without any issues (including a fellow 2001 SLR owner). However when I slide mine into the shock tower (with the bent tab in it's proper position under the adjacent metal)  the bolt holes are not even close to lining up. Before I enlarge them, has anyone here experienced this?

Many thanks,

Dave

17C77410-5A1B-4E64-8623-801D185BD36C_1_105_c.jpeg

headlamp-bracket-lhs.jpg

Edited by dave-canada-slr

• Area Representative

Can you not put something in the holes and lever it into position. Just needs “tweaking” but you may need to be a bit rough.

12 hours ago, paul richards said:

Can you not put something in the holes and lever it into position. Just needs “tweaking” but you may need to be a bit rough.

I'll give that a go. I'm still getting used to how "rough" some of the 7 stuff needs to be done vs my other cars 🙂

8 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

Looks like its been bolted up already - it has a circular witness mark.

That was from me. I did mount it but with the tab on the upperside of the shock mount just to test it, but then over course it pivots down without the tab holding it in place. So clearly the tab needs to be used!

4 hours ago, Phil G said:

The tab is often a bit tight and needs to be give a tweek to widen the gap. May not be your issue but worth a go!

yes I was thinking about opening up the tab to 45-90 degrees, install the through bolt, and then bend the tab back into place. I always try and avoid to damage parts like that (getting the tab back in place will require some pliers or and banging) to prevent paint chipping etc. 

17 hours ago, Phil G said:

TBH the tab serves little purpose. I wouldn't bother trying to fold back. 

it stops the bracket and headlight from tipping over. When I did the test fit with the tab on top it was easy to tip it down even with the bolt tightened up so I can imagine in the road and bumps it would tip pretty easily ?

The tab is on the bottom and will not stop tipping down, only up! Or did you mean that you tried it without hooking the tab under the mounting bracket? *getmecoat*  It has a marginal function of stopping movement whilst tightening the bolt, however, this is only effective on the N/S. IMHO naturally. *hehe*

Just wind it up to rally tight and it won't budge.

Edited by Phil G

Same issue on my 420R build. You only need to open the tab up a few mm to make a big difference in the hole alignment for the bolt. I used a screwdriver and both sides covered in masking tape and then moved to flat faced pliers but it didn't take much to enable a nice fit and feel the bracket won't tip down with vibration. I'd also say the tab isn't that strong so it is possible to hand hold bracket and tools while adjusting. Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks gents! I'll work on wrenching on it more this week and will keep you posted. In some ways in drives me crazy how "crude" some of this stuff is, in other ways it makes me laugh and marvel that it all works out and still produces an amazing car. I guess this is what makes a 7 a 7.

Edited by dave-canada-slr

So I elected to simply bend the tab back. Rendering it useless in terms of stopping the light assembly from tipping down. If it does tip down then I’ll use a self tapping screw as a second fixing point. Someone somewhere posted a picture of that. I though it was here. Anyways it’s already starting to look a lot better. Much less ‘buggy’

IMG_6435.jpeg

IMG_6434.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...