Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Duratec top end noise

Ian1959

• Area Representative

I presume the noise is heard quite loudly with the bonnet on & at half the speed of the engine ?  Bonnet off then it could be the odd noisy injector clicking away.....faint hope !

I assume you have had a good look around the engine while it's running to make sure all is correct on the outside.  I would get one of those cheap mechanics stethoscopes or use the old long screw driver on the ear trick and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from.  Some Duratec engines had problems with valve spring breakage, mostly 420's i think?  Just a thought.

Ian, if there is any indication the noise is from the valve train, it is worth removing the cam cover and pressing down on each bucket tappet to see if there is any difference in the spring tension between them. My current R400D engine rebuild is due to failed inlet valve springs, where all inlet valve springs fractured (all exhaust valve springs were fine), one inlet valve spring double fractured and the valve fell in at high RPM and made a horrible mess.

Started the engine today to record noise, getting a more mechanical sound, think it’s timing chain area drivers side, could be the tensioner / rubbing strip will have a look by removing the rocker cover

Tried to upload a video but too large!

Ensure you have the engine locked from rotating before undoing the crankshaft pulley, best with all pistons at mid-cylinder, although if you have the alignment tool I list below, set the cams to #1 TDC and lock the flywheel/crankshaft in that position, don't use the crankshaft alignment pin when undoing though, as the torque required will bend it if the crankshaft rests against it, and it may require major surgery to remove. Once it comes loose there is no key on the crankshaft (one-use friction washers only), so valves can hit pistons if the crankshaft is rotated and the crankshaft pulley is loose.

You can lock at the ring gear (the bolt is at several hundred Nm, so best to engage in several teeth to avoid breaking a single tooth). There is also a special crankshaft pulley tool that I purchased from Amazon, mine was from amazon.ca at $59, but this is the equivalent tool on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elf-Bee-999-7128-Crankshaft-Compatible/dp/B07TJQ7YYD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3N6ZZWB3P52L7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.pyF50aq1vWSwzgpYxzk_3Q.k0rrPENUuV8vd085ZW96zXEsV31g16A8aBgAXVypnhI&dib_tag=se&keywords=999+7128&qid=1708548393&s=automotive&sprefix=999+7128%2Cautomotive%2C327&sr=1-1

For reassembly, you will need an alignment tool such as this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/kweiny-Camshaft-Alignment-Timing-Engine/dp/B0992HQWXC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=181G6IF5N4EO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.-fbpn5chPI2da16ek4KPxYxpYX9JF1HwunIF2Muw5Zz2MqLzoXla9tWdMmixOCjijRxRrR8UOijuT4RgOSkXiXYfuhjXUpzQjhKu5mLsKhDFKjCQqTCtwu1akzkIBC6Ajt954_SuzhnjbLK5mfTGWEx-WzfK8gKsjVI3KhvvCSUK1Wv8-qFsd2ubuTPoyO_xosSV8J0CWoUN3MRqh-DS-qMAqaAUnSbP9wWYtNNm_CMAAzKN1RSmQYxGC1ELvD0ZsKnIhPfnKBYQHfi89YGJys7zDgP8MFNoXmnjH-cEMnA.low00wTwhqEaPz_xR4UXQps5j0IZ7aPZmKQuSBgOgtU&dib_tag=se&keywords=kweiny+Camshaft+Alignment+Timing+Tool+Kit+for+Ford+Mercury+Mazda+Engine+Some+Models&qid=1708548724&sprefix=kweiny+camshaft+alignment+timing+tool+kit+for+ford+mercury+mazda+engine+some+models+%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

2 new diamond friction washers should also be needed (part numbers - Ford 1S7Z-6378-AA or Mazda L3H5-11-407) and the crankshaft bolt is single use (I'm using an ARP replacement from Raceline).

Edited by aerobod - near CYYC

Both Burton Power and Caterham parts carry the OEM crank pulley bolt, and diamond washers for both the crankshaft and the camshafts too at similar prices, you will also need some Loctite 5910 sealer for the front timing cover.

You can crack the front pulley bolt with the car in gear and someone firmly on the foot brake, you will need a a long breaker bar though