Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil cooler hose kaput

graearea

I think that you could change that without total draining. Detailed planning of fingers and plugs. Do it when it's as cold as possible. And there's that magic freezing stuff for domestic plumbing.

Or you could drain into a clean container and reuse.

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

I had the same problem on my R400D.  I replaced both hoses even though only the short one was weeping, as that way I'd be sure of new parts.  The long one is 38C044A

I didn't need to drain the oil, as flow through these hoses only occurs when there's oil pressure.  My problem was how to get at the sandwich plate to attach the other end of the hoses.  My car (S3) has rollerbarrels, and they really got in the way.  I ended up removing the backplate and trumpets to gain sufficient access.   

As for torque at the hose unions, I'm not aware of a figure.  Indeed, I'm not sure there is one.  I simply cleaned up the surfaces and tightened the unions by feel, with further gentle tightening if the joint weeped when running the engine.

If it were my car, I'd replace both hoses, and change the oil.

JV   

JV I have Roller throttles as well so yeah the trumpets are a bugger to get off weven with ball-ended hex keys.

from what you both say it sounds like with cold oil and fast hands I might be able to do it without another sub 2000 mile oil change (I'm waiting til March for the next oil change)

I guess just jack the left hand side of the car up and be fast

Edited by graearea

1 minute ago, John Vine said:

Out of interest, is your R400D the ex-Aston/Bourne car?  The colour scheme looks very familiar.

JV

yup. John A stuck the first 50k on it, I'm 1/5th of the way into the next 50k. I spoke to the both John's that owned it on pistonheads briefly, I don't think the 2nd had it very long, neither the next owner.