Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel cylinder honing

Gridgway

So in my 80s BDR resto, I am doing the brakes.  Done the front.   One of the rears is leaking after 13 years of not being used.  I have bought some replacement wheel cylinders, but they are generic copies.  I'm looking at the Girling originals and wanting to re-use them - I love originality.   They have a round slightly corroded area where they have stood for umpteen years.

Does anyone have experience of honing them?  Does it generally work or should I just replace them with the copies?

if they are badly pitted in the working area you will end up honing them beyond a safe diameter, if you only lightly hone them,  even with new seals they are still going to be marginal in terms of service and performance - which could lead to you damaging your BDR, or worse.

Maybe worth Googling girling dealers or finding the OEM part number for them in order to find genuine units.

Just spoken to Powertrack and I'm going to attempt to refurb.  Having looked at the cylindered they aren't corroded.  The one that leaks has got some of the rubber of the seal attached to it (which apparently is what happens).  Should be clean up-able.  There aren't any original Girling ones left.  Powertrack has some Italian sourced copies if all else fails (rather than use Chinese ones from ebay).

Really nice guy at powertrack - great recommendation.

I successfully honed the leaking wheel cylinders from my Austin Healey around 40 years ago. I used a flexhone for the job and with a new set of seals they worked perfectly. As others have said it all depends on there being no pitting.

Mind you, it worked for me, but I've no idea if it's recommended practice; I only build engines.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's another good thing to try.  I think it's having a really good look at the inside of the worst of the two which is the one that's leaking.  I'm pretty sure it's detritus from the seal rather than alloy corrosion.