Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sourcing an Electronic Speedo Connector

Sandpiper

Hello everyone - my first post here - I have been lurking for many months, hopefully this is the right sub forum for this request.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the part number and sourcing a Speedo Connector to fit part number 71255 or 30D175A?  I would assume if you bought the speedo from the Speedo manufacturer that they would supply the connector with the Speedo, they are obviously part of the Caterham main vehicle wiring loom so they are not supplied from Caterham with the connector.  I am converting my '99 SLR car from grossly inaccurate mechanical gauge to electrical in the interests of preserving my license and getting an accurate odometer  🙂

Picture shows socket on speedo that I need to interface to.

Many thanks

S

speedo.jpg

Welcome

You're in the right place!

But you've started with a tough problem. I don't think that we've ever documented all of those connectors.

I'd ask Redline if they can help, and you don't need a part number for that.

Technical Guide to Speedometers

Speedometer and Instrument Repairs

And do you need any wiring diagrams?

Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kay

23 minutes ago, Sandpiper said:

I am converting my '99 SLR car from grossly inaccurate mechanical gauge to electrical in the interests of preserving my license and getting an accurate odometer

Have you bought an electrical adaptor for a Type 9 gearbox? I'd be interested in which one and how well it works.

Jonathan

A similar question was asked and answered here on USA7s about the tachometer.  Based on the photos, it looks like the connector is the same.  Provided someone can confirm they are, you'll have your answer.

-John

Many thanks Jonathan and John.

Jonathan I have bought the Hall effect electrical sensor that I shall fix to pick up on the propshaft bolts - I foolishly removed and discarded the reluctor ring when I replaced my offside driveshaft last year !

it would appear from the link above that this is the part I need

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity-AMP/175964-2?qs=Gjc27Ks72wOXIFP7jzW7dw%3D%3D&_gl=1*1ftm6tu*_ga*NDgyNzk1MzIwLjE3MDU2MTI2MTQ.*_ga_1KQLCYKRX3*MTcwNTYxMjYxMy4xLjAuMTcwNTYxMjYxNC4wLjAuMA..*_ga_15W4STQT4T*MTcwNTYxMjYxMy4xLjAuMTcwNTYxMjYxNC41OS4wLjA.

Edited by Sandpiper
Spelling

There is some information on the Caerbont(CAI)/Smiths website. They may be able to supply you with the subloom which IIRC for mine I got from Caterham. Should be the Post 2004 version, though the pre 2004 document is useful too.

info@caigauge.com 

https://www.smiths-instruments.co.uk/bespoke-projects/product-instructions/

Edited by David Lynch

To follow up on David's post.

Caerbont sell a prewired connector harness part number 41-762-285-00 for £13.60 plus VAT this connects to their programmable speedos.  I imagine this may be a tad cheaper than buying from CC 😁

Caterham speedo part number 71255 are now supplied EES3-1B32-00B Caerbont gauges which are programmable via the rubber button on dial face (no dip switches) as per their support instructions   Electronic (2004 to date )

Note the B which means the later circuit board to EES3-1A32-00B which has the dip switch array in the back for configuring.

Looks like you have this sorted, but for info I dug out the following a while back:

The connectors are AMP / TE Connectivity MULTILOCK .040 Series (first series, not II or III),

Speedo and early tacho - 8-pin      part no. 174044-2    RS 362-8768   (£0.94 ea)

Later tacho                     - 20-pin      part no. 174047-2   RS 362-8796    (£1.03 ea)

Contacts for above - 20-22 AWG    part no. 173681-1   RS 712-1889   (£5.10 for 50)

Other contacts also availabe to fit this seres.

Cheers,

Graham.

Many thanks for the info on this.

I have the new speedo fitted and running perfectly, I have the additional Earth at the sensor to car loom connector by the O/S front damper and that is connected to the Brake T junction Earth point.   The only Tomfoolery was with the Red lead harness pin 3 which for the modern sensor requires +12V for the pull up resistor for NPN sensors.  I started with it disconnected  no joy - then grounded it  no joy  connected it to pin 1's power supply lead and job done.  The speedo is very smooth in operation and is extremely accurate at motorway speeds.

Edited by Sandpiper
spelling