Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR Front wing fitting

PlastererPete

Has anyone got instructions on the method of fitting the front wings on a CSR? Currently fitting a new set in conjunction with new wheels/tyres.

I know the rear stay was just stuck on with sealant and obviously the front has the single allen bolt (with penny washer and spring washer) but now I’m fitting a set of ZZS’s so need to modify the wing slightly to make it fit.

I’ve read all the manuals and appropriate supplements I have, but nothing mentions front wing fitting other than the standard wings on an S3. 

My thoughts were to elongate the hole for the allen bolt to allow the front of the wing to move up slightly as its already “fag paper” tight on a mock up. Also the rear could do with being moved up so will be elongating the hole where the stay slides through to raise the back edge up aswell. 

As for the fitting, is it a case of putting the wing on, then carefully smudging loads of Teroson MS9220 between the wing and stay, fitting the wheel, using spacers on the wheel and taping it down until the “jollop” sets?

Thanks in advance. 

I have a lot of links to past discussions but none of them work so I assume they must be to discussions on the old yellow site.  From memory, when the wings came off my first 2008 CSR I just cleaned up the stay and wing and used the recommended sikaflex 292 for bonding.  There was a technique using big head fasteners glued to the wing that sat astride the stay and secured with cable ties so they could be easily removed and replaced.  I never used that method but I did use bigheads gluing two either side of the stay and running cable ties between each and across the stay.  There only seems to be one type of bighead in that above link, if I still have a spare I will measure the size later and get back to you.

Elongating the hole you mention seems to be the method used by most people to raise the height of the wing.  Whatever you do I would suggest you do it with wheel and tyre fitted so you are certain that the wing will not foul against the tyre once the glue has set.  With the wings removed I do wonder if a spacer of some kind could be fitted between the top of the stay and the inside of the wing which would raise the height of the wing at the rear?

Here are a couple of methods I seem to have saved as text, first by Mark

1. Open up the "wings" of the big head in a vice to let them straddle a little better over the wing stay

2. Roughen up the flat faces of the big head and clean with some acetone (nail varnish remover). Degrease the corresponding area on the inside of the wings too

3. Cable tie the big heads onto the wing stay loosely with a small cable tie

4. Place goo on big head

5. Drop wing into place and adjust until happy

6. Snip cable ties off and take wing onto bench. Turn over and carefully press the big heads into the goo so it comes out of the holes

7. Add more goo and smooth it over and around the bighead

8. Leave overnight to go off.

HTH
Mark

I also have this method saved as text:

Bighead fasteners fitted in 2 stages, I scrubbed the face of the fastener with emery paper then fitted the fasteners to the wingstays with tie wraps. Then daubed the face of the fastener with Sikaflex, the wing was prepped in the same way with emery and cleaned up. I then set the wing onto stay. Once cured I snipped the tie wraps and put extra adhesive over the fastener and onto the wing to increase the bonding area.

Thanks for the reply David. I did do a forum search prior to my post and found a couple of threads about elongating the hole at the front. Mine seems to need the hole for the top stay altering aswell to gain some added height for the rear. Both gaps are circa 2-3mm which is far too close for my liking. It would only take one rogue stone stuck in the tread to ruin the wing. 

Love the idea of the bighead fasteners and additional cable ties. I was thinking of going that route as an added security even though the old wings were on 17years without any extra help. 

Edited by PlastererPete

Yes I agree, it is a bonus that you have the wings off and elongating the holes as shown in red below, would allow you to heighten the wings, also required where the indicator fits on the other side.  Maybe a spacer of some kind, flat or maybe tubular to slide over the stay or just use more glue.

The bigheads I used are 30mm square and the loops are about 8mm high, the ones in the link above seem to be slightly larger at 38mm square. 

I won't, if ever, have to face that problem, I cheated and bought 4 x front CR500's which should see me out!

Just found my original post here

csr cycle wing 2.jpg

Edited by David aka Blue7

I only have one crack in a rear but they are all older tyres now so not taking any chances. I was going to replace the wings anyway as the existing carbon ones are 17yrs old and unsalvageable unless they are painted. So it was the perfect time to get the wings set for the taller tyres. 

Those are exactly the areas I will be trimming and I’ll get some of those bighead fasteners to stick to the wing. 

Thanks again for the help. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well over the past couple of days I’ve finally managed to get the wings fitted. 
I had to trim down the bighead fasteners as they conflicted with the shape of the aero part. Pictures show the initial stick with cable ties (which remained as a belt and braces approach) to attach the fasteners to the wing.
Then I did the big glob of Teroson MS9220 and tape it down. Under the frog tape are four 5mm packers to try and keep the wing spaced correctly. I had to do a second “fill” of Teroson to tidy up the underside and fully encapsulate the rear stay. This is all after multiple fittings and removals to trim the holes to allow the wing to move up. The holes are not just vertical they are angled towards the centre of the hub which threw me off to start with, I assumed they would’ve been straight. 

Last picture is of the old one (still fitted) alongside the new one. The old ones were beyond saving really.
IMG_3320.thumb.jpeg.b12fba5321dd6e76dcc7517ff9b849b0.jpegIMG_3321.thumb.jpeg.aa00f6498c9719d6686da66cb6c2417a.jpegD711DEEA-CC13-4101-83BE-A36C19B43B03.thumb.jpeg.80b3ec5e32d0176e82cd34485a172ab5.jpeg

Edited by PlastererPete
  • Like 1

Good neat job, I think you would get a start with CC if ever you are looking for a job 😁 

I don't want to spoil your new year but have you seen the announcement in What Car magazine that Avon have announced that in 2024 their ZZS 195/50 R15 82W tyres will be replaced by ZZS 195/55, which means you will need to get your dremel out again when you replace your present tyres?

Don't worry ... just joking ... have a Good 2024! *thumbup*

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, David aka Blue7 said:

Good neat job, I think you would get a start with CC if ever you are looking for a job 😁 

I don't want to spoil your new year but have you seen the announcement in What Car magazine that Avon have announced that in 2024 their ZZS 195/50 R15 82W tyres will be replaced by ZZS 195/55, which means you will need to get your dremel out again when you replace your present tyres?

Don't worry ... just joking ... have a Good 2024! *thumbup*

You had me going then! I was about to go and look at buying a set of 13” wheels and selling the two sets of 15”s I’ve got 😂

It’s certainly not a job I have savoured doing. I’m pleased its done, but I think I’ll be paying someone else next time lol

• Haha 1