Click here if you are having website access problems ×

270S build, bottom radiator hose.

Roearn

Do you already have both the old-style text-rich Assembly Guide and the new-style pictorial version? The former mentions trimming of the hoses and the latter has pictures.

Please let me know if you'd like a copy of either.

There have been lot of failures with aluminium radiators. IIRC bottom hoses on Sigmas haven't been a particular culprit. But i'd still follow the same principles: no twisting load on the radiator from its mounting brackets, and no excess forces of the hoses on the radiator's stubs..

Jonathan

my photography skills are appalling. But hopefully these help

1. runs across steering rack before entering bottom of radiator from o/s

IMG_8259.thumb.jpeg.ee367c2dd03274637b4d05823c28903e.jpeg

2. lower hose visible just below top hose. From steering rack back to thermostat.

IMG_8265.thumb.jpeg.4a58e1af03aacff3ffc2451aee57ca6d.jpeg

3. opposite view point of image 1 from n/s

IMG_8261.thumb.jpeg.0dfb849b1b134da8d031c2732476dbe4.jpeg

4. another view point of image 2.

IMG_8264.thumb.jpeg.19dce244fd05c31961b5361ab700af59.jpeg

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow but the bottom hose on my 310R is different to that one. It doesn't run parallel to the steering rack but goes back at an angle. Mine is an SV chassis though so perhaps the hose is different because of that. I'm not sure that makes much difference but I can definitely support the view that it is really important to ensure that there aren't any twisting forces in your radiator as a result of either the bobbin fixings or the two hose connections. I have had 3 Caterham radiators leak and in the end have fitted a RadTec one to solve the problem. I found that the aluminium mounting brackets for the radiator needed twisting get the bobbins to be perpendicular to  the rad mounts and some of the holes needed elongating. Well worth the effort in getting this right.

Have fun in the garage 🙂

Thanks for these replies. 
The photos are really helpful, as it’s completely different to my routing.
Jonathan, I didn’t have the text guide for the first few weeks of the build. From first thoughts of a Lotus 7 to me placing an order was 3 weeks. No planning, forethought or research. Thought the picture book was it, and then the pitfalls. 
Graham, Yes please on your photographs. With coolant drained and hose removed, good time to be able to check on your comments. Was thinking I was coming to the end of the build. No chance.

Roger

IMG_3494 2.HEIC

Roger - This pic shows the Radtec radiator fitted on my SV. It is the aluminium mounting bracket on the right hand side that needs bending to ensure the flange to which the bobbin connects is parallel relative to the radiator. This may then mean that you need to elongate some of the holes in the bracket so they line up with the rad. Once done, there is no torsion in the radiator which helps to stop it leaking. I'll upload pics of the bottom hose route in a moment

Graham