Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1986 Chassis number in region of 1 to 400 anyone? Mine's 239

anthonym

1986 Chassis number in region of 1 to 400 anyone? Mine's 239

Anyone got a chassis number in the same range as mine? It being xXXX239X

Was yours:

K ? I think at that time this meant "universal chassis", so then the battery was buried under the carbs.

Dedion?

CKD??

Factory built?

Long Cockpit?

Supplied without engine?

This era was pre HPC (which itself means factory Built)

I am wondering if it offers any insight in to its "build number" or none at all.

Anthony

The formatting looks a bit messed up in the guide, should be more like this:

CS3    Caterham Series 3

LCS    Long Cockpit

S3B    for Dutch market

5LC    5 Speed Gearbox, Long Cockpit

KLCC   Kit-built, long cockpit, CKD

KLD    Kit-built, long cockpit, deDion

KLDC   Kit-built, long cockpit, deDion, CKD

KS3    Kit built (not CKD)

KS3C   Kit-built, standard cockpit,

CKD (Completely Knocked Down ie all parts supplied by Caterham)

• Leadership Team

The 'K' for 'kit' sequence of VIN / chassis numbers ran from 1984 (K0001) to 1996 (K3587). From 1991 onwards the European standard 17 character VIN starting with 'SDK' (the identifier for Caterham Cars) was adopted, but post-1991 cars are still referenced in the archive as Kxxxx.

The kits varied from starter kit (chassis body unit only), stater kit plus one or more packages (eg. rear axle, lighting, interior trim etc), complete kit excl engine, complete knocked-down (CKD) kit. All model types available during that period, with a lot of 1600 Sprints, 1700 Supersprints and HPC VX carbs in the latter years. Some De Dion, some live axle. Mostly supplied to UK customers but quite a few to France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. 

Chassis numbers were generally allocated at the time of an order, so Kxx239x was the 239th order received for a kit after the introduction of the 'K' sequence of chassis numbers in 1984.

I have an 86 S3 Caterham. It’s a BDR and has De Dion rear suspension. Below is some of the information I got with my car from the original owner. He was a good friend of mine and never got his car completedd and on the road. He died five years ago and his son got the car and it sat for five more years and he died. I bought the car from his other son. Obviously I’m in the US and I don’t know if the numbering of the chassis were the same for export cars but this one was definitely built in October of 1986. If I can help you in anyway please let me know. I have been arguing the De Dion rear end everywhere. When I try to buy parts I’m told that Caterham didn’t start the De Dion until 1988. I think I have proof that they started before then,

IMG_0149.thumb.jpeg.b1b4994c97a6a385984221da6861114e.jpegIMG_0152.thumb.jpeg.0599ab20ea7b372fa82869615f7cb87b.jpegIMG_0155.thumb.jpeg.a7e3038a58ddefcb28c7686f915a09e9.jpeg

IMG_0190.jpeg

35 minutes ago, orangepeel61 said:

The chassis on my car is marked AM 86 20 which I believe to be Arch, manufactured in 1986, presumably week 20. It has de Dion rear suspension with drum brakes.

It's a 1700 Supersprint and was first registered in 1987, chassis number KLD 0155R.

Neil.

The 20 in the Arch number must be a serial number not a week number, mine is AM 85 702

• Area Representative

I bought a new Super Sprint in late 1985. It was live axle and the last chassis number before the first de Dion. However, I sold it many years ago to Belgium and believe it is now in Germany.

Piers

IMG_0052.jpeg

Edited by Piers300

• Leadership Team

Just for the record, the chassis stamp on slightly later Arch chassis is also on the rear suspension mount but in a different format.  This is my car (not very clear as has been repainted) but it says AM90 at the top (Arch Motors 1990) and J2 on the side for Jig 2 (they have/had 2 different chassis jigs, no doubt with slightly different tolerances, so this is to make sure the chassis goes back on the right one if it's ever back for repairs).

image.thumb.jpeg.6db4e87712669ca7e4f73ecbf2cf4e9e.jpeg