Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Restoring Bare Carbon Wings

Skipper555

• Leadership Team

Front wings can be lacquered because they don’t sustain much stone damage unlike the rears, they’ll then stay very shiny. For the rears (and fronts if not lacquered) try coating occasionally with something such as Gtechnic C3 to protect them.

• 5 months later...

I'd like to insulate the carbon fiber protectors of rear wings from rain and UV, but the clear glossy paint protection film does not look right on them. Tiny air bubbles are trapped as the surface of CF is not smooth. Even larger bubbles form around the rivets. Of cource it can be covered and then riveted, but... I was thinking of clear-coating them, but was warned that clear coat might crack, as these wing protectors are quite flimsy. They don't move much when riveted onto the wing (which itself has some play due to vibrations or gentle push), but I gues I'll have to bite the bullet. Clear coated bumpers on other cars seem to withstand gentle bends, and they also are quite flimsy when taken off, still the coat does not crack.

• Leadership Team

The best protection will be to leave them as bare carbon, the paint on the wings they’re attached to will be of much more concern.