Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Patching up chipped paintwork

Se7enBTCC

This is a well timed thread for me as I was looking at doing the same thing. Useful info.

I can only find spray cans of the Simoniz stuff which could be tricky for some of the areas I've got in mind.

I've found this POR 15 kit which has some prep solutions too which could work well for me

eBay - POR15 Car / Van Rust Treatment / Prevention Super Starter Cleaning/Paint Kit

"Hammerite always seems a bit useless to me.  Not long lasting at all."

I'm not sure what is meant by this. It won't go anywhere unless you get another stone chip in the same place.

"I can only find spray cans of the Simoniz stuff which could be tricky for some of the areas I've got in mind."

Can it be sprayed into a small pot then be brushed on?

• Leadership Team

#12  POR-15 has a pretty good shelf life but you must decant out the small amount you intend to use and don't return anything to the tin, not even the brush otherwise it sets hard in a fairly short time.

I used POR 15 initially but found it was hard to manage all of the stages in tight places and the waiting times between. It has also peeled in some areas. 

I'm sure it's ultimately the best product but I've taken to painting Simoniz onto bare sanded metal, sprayed into its own lid as a pot, because it's easier and I'm under the car each winter so can redo when necessary.