Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen washer issue.

Speedtrip

Hi all,

Typically my car is due it's MOT but having had a quick look around I've found the windscreen washer jets aren't working. There's fluid in the bottle, the pump runs and the outlet ends appear clean. Initially the flow was very weak but having messed around with it it all but dried up. I guessing there must be a blockage somewhere within the pipe.

Any advice for getting them working? Is it an easy job that I can do before the imminent test?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

I'd try disconnecting pipes to locate the blockage. And blowing through them.

IIRC access isn't good to where the pipes come up to the jet fitting. Small hands might help.

And poking a thin wire down the jets and wiggling.

Previous discussions:

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/easy-fix-blocked-windscreen-washer

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/replacing-windscreen-washer-tube

Jonathan

Is the pump mounted below top of liquid level in the reservoir ? Saw a car recently where the pump had been retrofitted above the reservoir. The pump was spinning ok, but can't pump air. The answer was a one way valve to ensure the pump is always primed.

Thanks all for your responses.

Ive dug around and found the first section of pipe from the bottle to what I now assume is the non return vale looks dirty. Beyond this point the pipe appears to be clean/looks clear, so I'm hopeful the valve is the issue. I've also removed the outlet from the the scuttle and it seems fine.

So, am I best cleaning or replacing the valve? If I'm best replacing what do I order and where from?

Thanks,

Andy

"So, am I best cleaning or replacing the valve? If I'm best replacing what do I order and where from?"

I'd have a good play, including blowing through in both directions. And give it an ultrasound bath.

If you do need to replace please could you add a photo of the valve.

And then I'd ask Redline and look for something similar at Rimmer Bros.

Jonathan

Thanks again all.

So a quick update. It was the non-return value and once removed the remainder of the pipe was clear. I picked up and fitted a new 6mm item from Halfords and all seems fine. 

Unfortunately I missed the MOT appointment so will need to reschedule and the cars off the road until I do. *grumpy*

Regards,

Andy