Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham LED rear light set - number plate / reverse light issue

JP

My rebuild is progressing and I fitted these today.  However, I have an issue with the reverse light.  It doesn't fit the wheel carrier bracket.  I'm not aware of a different light unit for cars with a wheel carrier - it seems that Caterham intend for this kit to be universal and if you have a wheel carrier you just need a loom extension and nothing else.  However, this is the position on my imperial chassis:

20230819_183111.thumb.JPG.0b2130dafbc5f324196c7a9b923ecc14.JPG Does anyone know if a different unit option is available or if there is an adapter plate available?  I can't find anything on the CC parts site.

By the way, I test fitted the unit and the reverse light worked straightaway!  Happy days!  The fog light however...

• Leadership Team

The lamp was not designed to fit that bracket, in the install without a spare wheel it has its own bracket which replaces the original lamp bracket under the chassis.

For the location you're fitting the new lamp you'll need to fabricate a flat adapter plate with enough holes to mount the plate to the carrier and also the lamp to the plate.

Thanks #6 - sadly I don't think that is the problem.  The fog worked for about 2 seconds and then stopped.  I suspect a blown fuse.  I'll go hunting today.

Also, the indicators flash rapidly, but I haven't fully reconnected all of the wiring yet and there might be bad earths.  I need to go over the whole car and tidy up all connections.  Also, at the moment, I still have std front lights.  Hopefully the mismatch won't cause a problem...

I haven't touched the indicator timer - I didn't know there was one?  Do you mean a flasher unit?

This is an old 1999 k-series with only one tell tale on the dash.  Also , I haven't fully wired up the car yet and the battery might be a bit low - not used for about 6 months and can't start the car yet as the fuel tank is still out of the car

"I haven't touched the indicator timer - I didn't know there was one?  Do you mean a flasher unit?"

Yes. That will need replacing with one that matches the LED indicators.

"This is an old 1999 k-series with only one tell tale on the dash."

Replacing the indicators with LEDs will stop that working properly. There's an easy modification that adds some diodes.

"Also , I haven't fully wired up the car yet and the battery might be a bit low... "

If that's the battery that you're going to use for testing you might save a lot of time by checking it asap. Measure the battery voltage at rest and with some load on it: if you can't use the starter as the load use the incandescent headlamps. And if it's the type that can be topped up check the fluid levels.

Jonathan

Thanks, Jonathan.  I'll get the battery on the charger.  Just hooked it up partially yesterday because I wanted to see the rear lights in action!

I'll look at the flasher unit, but once I've hooked everything else up - the hazards seem to flash with a proper frequency.  However, one front  indicator isn't working, which I think is due to the bulb holder contact being corroded (the bulb is fine).

I was initially resistant because I thought the CC LEDs would look too modern, but now I love them.  And it has meant that I have not had to drill my rear panel for Land Rover fog and reverse lights.

Capture_21.JPG.ed3ed0b8c018f4b42763da9f85e1fdd2.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have been going over the car tidying the wiring and checking earths and now the rear LEDs all work except for the indicators which flash too rapidly.  The hazards are fine.  Could anyone let me know the spec of flasher unit that I need to replace my existing one?  I have kept the std front lights, I do not have front side repeaters and I have one tell tale light in the cockpit along with a buzzer. 

Also, there was a printed schematic of the fuse box and relay layout stuck to the back of my fusebox, which I seem to have mislaid during the rebuild.  Would anyone have a PDF of the schematic that they could share for me to print out and stick on my fuse box please?  (The one in my Assembly Guide is a handwritten scrawl.) This is what I currently have:

20230909_173839_0.thumb.JPG.9c41262edab256e2d8ad37fdb4ee2de0.JPG

20230909_173721_0.thumb.JPG.5851889a5aa6d9d4afad1e8e1e14dc9a.JPG

JAL's flasher unit. I'd guess that that will work with your combination of LED and incandescant indicators.

"I have kept the std front lights, I do not have front side repeaters and I have one tell tale light in the cockpit along with a buzzer."

Does the telltale on the dash work OK? Both left and right?

"This is an old 1999 k-series with only one tell tale on the dash."

"Also, there was a printed schematic of the fuse box and relay layout stuck to the back of my fusebox, which I seem to have mislaid during the rebuild.  Would anyone have a PDF of the schematic that they could share for me to print out and stick on my fuse box please?  (The one in my Assembly Guide is a handwritten scrawl.)"

Does this match your fuses and relays?

1998 Fusebox layout.pdf

(It's often recommended to use 30A rather than 20A for the ECU.)

Jonathan

Jonathan - I'll go and check the tell tale now and report back.  The buzzer does work and the tone is slightly different depending on whether one is indicating left or right - as it used to be.

The hazards flash normally with normal periodicity and can't find a dediacted hazard flasher under the dash...

Your picture is not appearing...

James

JK - thank you.  That does look similar to my recollection.  Certainly the 7.5A fuse for the RH taillight is familiar as I spent all afternoon yesterday trying to work out why the lights on the right side of the car stopped working as I fiddled with the fog light which then burst into life accompanied with the RH lights failing...thank you - I'll save and print.

As for the indicators - I've just checked:

The tell tale does work in both directions.  Also, when I just checked, the indictors flashed with the correct periodicity - unlike yesterday.  The right was fine and the left intermittently flicked to a faster rate for a few flashes and then reverted.  I suspect there might be more earths and connections that I need to go over and freshen up...

I'll also check the hazard relay...

Also re: OS and browser: Win 10 desktop and Firefox v.117.0