Click here if you are having website access problems ×

type 9 5 speed quick shifter?

jody391

#1  There is, but it's not cheap.  It's the Quaife Quickshift, and there's a custom version designed for use in Caterhams.  It's the one top-left in that photo, with the short, cranked lever:

Quickshiftgearlever.thumb.jpg.615794582a32da8988f70aa5ce6d3786.jpg

The Quaife catalogue lists it as P/N QGE11Z003.  CC used to stock it, but no longer it seems -- probably due to the move to Mazda boxes.  Also, Demon Tweeks no longer list it.  You could try Redline.

JV

I can't help with measurements but I'd guess that a 2007 K-series would have a Quickshift as standard.  No doubt someone can confirm this?  Certainly CC's 2007 price list made no distinction.

You could always remove what you have and compare it with the photos.  It's very straightforward to get at -- unscrew the gear knob, lift off the tunnel cover and undo three bolts holding the gearlever flange onto the gearbox tail.

If you post a photo when you've done that, we can confirm what you have.

JV

Quick shifter can mean two different things.

On cars, it usually refers to a short-throw gearchange stick. Caterhams have these as standard on Type 9 boxes, though it's possible there may be an extra-short version available (don't think I'd want one though).

On motorcycles, it normally refers to a mechanism that interrupts the ignition as you shift, allowing clutchless up (and sometimes down) changes without blipping the throttle. It's likely that those only exist for sequential boxes.

#9 ... though it's possible there may be an extra-short version available...

The Quaife Quickshift has two "modes": standard and quick.  Swapping between the two is simply a matter of altering the position of the spherical bearing in order to change the fulcrum point.  I'm told that the quick mode is rather too fast for the Type 9 synchros to keep pace.

JV