Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front cycle wing

Se7enBTCC

Evening,

My near side front cycle wing flew off on track recently, I have a replacement but can someone point me in the direction on how to install the thing, it's on a 2022 Academy Car, looks a combination of some kind of glue and rivet?

Thanks

• Area Representative

The modern approach is to severely roughen up the wing stays and the underside of the wing where it will fix and use lots of silicone adhesive (Tigerseal, Sikaflex - someone more experienced will be along for the right Sikaflex compound).

I suggest you roughen up a good 25<30mm either side of the stay so there is plenty of adhesion.  Be generous with the silicone.

"Here's the current approach recommended by CC that I used on my car : Link"

That's good on preparation, and I suspect that poor preparation causes more failures than anything else.

I would add:

1 Sandwich or sausage roll. I prepared the entire surface of the stay, not only the top. I then applied a sausage roll in one step, rather than a sandwich and then a sausage roll. This is because the likely failure mode is peeling at an interface, and this way there are fewer interfaces.

2 Choice of adhesive. Lots of suggestions in the archives, eg from 2021. "There are probably more recommendations in the archives for Sikaflex 221 and Tiger Seal than for anything else. "

3 Make sure that all of the bits are warm.

Jonathan