Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gear selection issue?

Gareth H

Any idea what could be causing this (5 speed CSR) , a couple of days ago I couldn't engage second gear on a couple of occasions (it sort of felt like the gate was shut, no graunching just resistance ). Yesterday I was out for a drive and couldn't engage any gear, stopped the car, engine off, still couldn't engage a gear, engine on / off a few times and I was able to get first gear and then everything returned to normal.

any ideas as to possible causes?

thanks

Gareth

Assume we are looking at a type 9 ford box...?

Clutch drag is one to check first, try starting engine and see if you can engage reverse without and grating gears, if it grates your clutch is not clearing (fully disengaging the engine form the transmission) and hence engaging any gear with be baulked.

This could be an adjustment if you have a clutch stop, hydraulic issue or physical clutch issue - have a try and post back

The other common area is the plastic saddle between the gear lever and selector shaft had broken of come adrift, you need to remove the gear lever to look at this, 3 bolts and it comes out from the top once you have access from under the tunnel cover

*wavey*

Is the gear selector free to move to all gear positions without the engine running? Does it move fore and aft easily, is there any unusual resistance across the gate?

At the left hand side front of the casing towards the top of the casing is a socket head adjusting screw, (approx10mm) if this is out of position it can screw the gear change action big time, particularly if wound in to much, but this is possibly not your problem is, as they often get too free. This screw applies pressure via a spring to the selector rod detent pin holding the gear selector shaft at that position, if that makes sense. 

I'd also check the saddle bush. They are plastic and can break after a while through fatigue. Upgrade to a motorsport nylon version as the brass upgraded one can buzz a bit. 
3 bolts to remove the shifter, there is no oil or anything, it just clips to a rod at the tail end of the gearbox so is simple to change. Note which way around it goes as you'll not get certain gears if it's the wrong way around.

22daz

Thanks chaps, would the worn saddle have an intermittent effect?

I had a chat with R and R transmissions who rebuilt the box for Turn 7 before I bought the car from them, he was convinced the issue was clutch related, I need to get out and try to replicate the problem (apparently the proof of the pudding is if reverse can be selected)