Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake light switch

Peter Lethbridge

It's a standard 3/8" x 24 UNF parallel (same as brake fittings), 5 bar, NO switch as used on loads of old British Cars. The Caterham supply is/was an Intermotor 51610. The Lucas equivalent is SPB401. Both are widely available. The Kelvedon switch is their equivalent. I'd go for the Lucas.

Not sure how you'd convert an '88 pedal arrangement to a mechanical switch

I can confirm that the hydraulic switch requires too much pressure to operate. 

I found I was able to bring the car to a complete stop without the brake lights coming on! Replacing the switch made no difference, in the end I fitted a secondary switch, a cheap micro switch from flebay and an angle bracket! 

In more recent times I have replaced the master cylinder, that made no difference either!

I'm convinced there's a lot of cars (not just Caterhams) out there with these hydraulic switches and the owners don't realise that they don't work!

20230622_114655_0.thumb.jpg.abebdaaa53dbece129c8db04675e428f.jpg

The hydraulic switches are hopeless, replace it with a proper switch, leave the hydraulic thing to bung the hole. something like #10 is the way to go, I have fitted a similar arrangement with a plunger style switch, much more reliable and can be set to activate at various  pedal travel., to suit when you want the tailgater to go away. 

It is also worth using a relay unless the switch is well designed to switch the full brake light current. The cheap switches fail quickly when passing 4A or so through a lightly brushed brake pedal (arcing a lot when the contacts are only lightly closed), whereas 30mA through the switch to a relay that can quickly activate the brake lights with minimal arcing increases switch life significantly.