Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bluetooth intercoms

grumpy the 7th

After loosing my Starcom Advanced intercom headset off the back of my car I now need a new setup. Starcom are no longer in existance and I can't find anywhere an ear defender headset with mike & ears  with a 6pin male mini din plug. I'm used to cables and wifi but don't know much about the Bluetooth magic system.

What do I need to get comms between Er' indoors and myself if I were to go Bluetooth. My understanding is that I need two new bluetooth intercom headsets and just connect to my android phone? 

Is this all I need?

• Area Representative

Just use search. This doesn't even require the magic external search. I just threw "Bluetooth" into the search box.

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/bluetooth-intercoms

If I have a passenger, we listen separately and she uses a hand signal when she wants to take a break.

• Leadership Team

Maybe try sourcing an Autocom SPA (Super pro Automatic) unit on ebay then make up your own headsets, so effectively 7-pin versions of what you already have (had!). This was the top model that Autocom were making before they shut up shop, it's crystal clear sound and can have a BT add-on for your phone or nav, or depending upon your nav you can hard wire it.  It also has noise-dependent automatic volume control which is a useful gain over earlier units.

For driver to passenger comms, like your Starcom the only cables needed after install are both headsets to the unit leads, so effectively the same number of plugs to connect as the JAL Bluetooth headsets. 

Yes I had some fun and games with this. 
inhad an old motorbike intercom set up DIYed into a set of peltors, they were great and I used the for around 10 years, but wanted the ability for myself and the boss to chat AND listen to music together plus have the satnav directions as well. 
I found a new Cardo x2 system had everything and again DIYed it in to the old peltors. It's relatively cheap and so far worked really really well.

the old thread has some photos etc