Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting Tillets

MikeE

I treated myself to a new pair of Tillets when I picked the Superlight up from it's 12,000 mile service at the factory.

So typically when I come to fit them on Sunday there's now fitting instructions *mad*

I enventually managed to fit the passenger (fixed) seat yesterday but have the following questions:

1. Why do you get 3 thin and 5 thick spaces? (why the odd number?),

2. Do the thick spacers go at the front or the back?

3. Are you supposed to cant the seat to one side as well? (the passenger seat seems to be squashed against the side of the car more than the transmission tunnel)

4. I presume the spacers go between the seat and the ali fixing rail (not the ali fixing rail and the floor)?

5. Why does the pack say 'extra four thick spacers if FIA bar fitted'?

6. Are the seats handed (can't see anything to suggest they are, however they do have a label saying 'Blackbird' on them *confused*).

And finally I managed to strip two of the captive nuts in the fixing rail, I've had to replace these with bolts but am having reservations about leaving it like this, anyone got any ideas how much a replacement fixed seat fitting pack would be?

thanks,

Mike.

Mike - AFAIK

1. dunno *confused*

2. generally at the front to help raise the seat angle so it is more bucket like, hence less chance of sliding of, generally more comfortable (support for legs (also see #5)

3. don't think so

4. yes, although I think either is ok

5. if you want to have the petty strut attached you need to riase the front so the head rest is furhter back, this wil then allow the petty strut to fit

6. nope

7.you should be ok, the normal runners are just bolts, the ali fixing rails are riduclously expesive 45 quid ISTR

rob

• 4 months later...

Mike,

I would be happy to email you the section from my build manual if required

The spacers are to go between the seat rail and the seat.

From memory the underside of the tillet seat needs one extra spacer on the front RH to make the seat sit flat, don't worry about the combination of fat and thin spacers some people just put them at the front to give a little extra raised under thigh support.

Try a few combinations first before you bolt the seat down, there is no real right or wrong way.

Torque the bolts to 10 lbft (14Nm) only .... do not over tighten !

Kirium - john,

I had the leather 97 type seats before, you dont really get any increase in leg room, you do however benefit from being seated lower in the car.

regards

Alex M.

R300 lambo orange.

Your experience with the Tillett seat fixing is typical I'd say - they are a real pain to fit well.

I have the FIA bar and I've only spaced the driver side to suit how I like the seat. I have used araldite to give the rivnuts a better chance of not spinning as the ali runners are pretty weak.

I had my toilet seats fitted by Caterham but they did not give me any option of seat angle, presumably they had the washers?

Anyway, I want to lean mine back a tad to get more thigh support, can I buy or obtain the washers seperately?

DAVID L

GET THE MOTOR RUNNING

HEAD OUT ON THE HIGHWAY!

>Kirium - john,

>I had the leather 97 type seats before, you dont really get any increase in leg room, you do however benefit from being >seated lower in the car.

Sounds good - how much lower are you seated ?

Basically, I have a sort cock-pit like axle, and being 6ft I need all the room I can get :)

Any advice/info gratefully received.

John.