Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT and decat

RetroRob

#25 - So...

The 6th digit is "K" - it was kit built, but not by me.

The 10th is "W"

It is an R6 engine.

There are no emissions data on the V5.

It is a 1998 chassis, first registered in April 1999.

Argh - I've just noticed on the front of the V5, it says this:

"SVA / IVA Cert issued [date] Emission Limit - as DOT publication"  If the DOT publication is the emission data in the post aboev does the "limit" referred to mean visible smoke or those in the table?  It seems that the table only applies if the 6th digit isn't C or K and the 10th digit is after W?  All very confusing.  Perhaps I'll pick my battle once I see the emissions data after getting it back on the road...

#26:   Thanks for all that info. 

For "K" and "W", DVSA clearly say "amateur-built", therefore visible smoke test only.  But the MOT Manual says test to "...the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test."  Where those limits are documented I've no idea, but I'd assume the DVSA doc above.

Those two statements are clearly contradictory.  Perhaps the only way to resolve things would be to contact DVSA and get them to confirm in writing what test applies?

Re the DOT publication, I don't know what "limit" refers to.  I assume DOT = Dept of Transport, but their publications would pre-date the VOSA/DVSA ones by some years.  In any case, no emissions data would have been recorded on the Minister's Approval Certificate (MAC) issued by the SVA tester, nor on the V5C.  

This is what the V5C says for my old 1999 1.8K (sold to my daughter and S-in-L):

SS-RV5Cfront_NOTES_20230319.jpg.7d6f9238c6fb65e68f7c84e70a4de4e6.jpg

The year code is "X" (1999).   The emissions limits are clearly stated here (unlike for your car) and match the DVSA doc.  I think they would be unachievable without a cat.  There are no emissions values in the body of the V5C, nor on the SVA MAC, so these limits must have been taken from current DVSA docs.  (Note that this V5C is not my original!)

JV

just about to go through this as my MOT place have all new kit which is now all linked to DVSA and takes the option away from the tester, in theory the system should know the limits for your given vehicle....... I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

mine is a factory built 1999 car but with a different engine which doesn't appear on the apendix list for the correct year therefore i should test to the limits of the engine fitted at time of IVA/SVA , these limits are higher then the BET for a CAT.

I already have all the docs and spoken at length to the tester, he has no idea what options the system will permit so its a little voyage of discovery, will report back once I've been..

*wavey*

#27 - Mine was SVA'd 5 days before yours...anyway, I've never had problem passing thus far and so perhaps I'll stick with the Caterham cat/silencer combined for now, even if it is a bit noisy...

When the rebuild is done and it finally hits the road I'll ask my local MOT tester.

#29  Just to add that my original V5C, like yours, may not have included the actual emission limits, so it could have said the same as yours under "Notes".  I no longer have a copy, but if it would help, I could ask my daughter and S-in-L.

JV