Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500 tyre pressures

simon_fletcher

Just taken delivery of four lovely new wheels with CR500's ready to go racing. Two questions though:

a) what pressure should I be running them at for road and race use?

b) the new rims have as much as 95g of lead stuck on to balance them. For brand new rims this seems excessive. Is it normal and is it likely to have any effect on hanfling?

Cheers,

Simo

Mine are 175/55 R13s does that make a difference?

Just tried them out at 22psi and my god they stick to the road...really looking forward to trying them on the track!

I'll try 18psi on the track...over the course of a 30 minute race I expect they'll get pretty warm and the pressure will go up quite a bit...

Cheers,

Simon

Evening, fletcher, why didn't you ring and I could have told you...snif you never call..sniff... is it something I've said, or just that I nearly beat you at LLandow 😬

Yes they do stick to the road, I run them at 18psi, but then I probably generate more heat in them *tongue*.

I'm thinking about changing them back over as the 720's are getting run in now and I long for that extra grip 😬

C7 MLE

The big red one with yellow bits on.

4000+ miles and counting in 7 weeks *eek*

Edited by - Michael_E on 7 Apr 2003 20:34:23

Simon, most of us that race in Caterham Roadsports B (CR500's) run them about 22psi hot.

This will be something like 17,18,19,20 cold starting from the left rear and going anti-clockwise around the car on a typical mostly clockwise track. Test them as you come in from a session and let air out/add air until they are correct as you come in, then leave them and measure the pressures cold.

Even if you run quite high pressures you are unlikely (at 175 width anyway) to see the centres wear much, the outer edges (front especially) get trashed. Also, Avon recommend you run the fronts against the rotation arrows, but the rears round the normal way.

Ran these tyres at Rockingham last weekend for a test day then 2 races, they wear quite quickly but are excellent, grippy and so controllable...