Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temperature gauge Calibration ref Easimap value

Spuddy Supersport

I stand to be corrected, wouldn't be the first time! *wink*but I thought there were separate temp sensors, one for the ecu and one for the coolant gauge?

My gauge incidentally corresponds well at the top end of the range but reads slightly under at the lower.

Thanks.

IIRC you should be able to see two sensors.

Would you still like the indication on the gauge to match the ECU? That should be possible with some modification to the gauge's circuit, and there are some commercial devices that might do the trick. Here's John Vine's experiment with a Spiyda Gauge Wizard in the fuel gauge system.

Jonathan

I imagine that, like the Duratec, your Sigma has two water temp senders, one for the ECU and the other for the gauge.

The Spiyda is a neat little unit that reads a fuel or temp sender signal and adjusts it so that the gauge displays a "corrected" value.  It's not difficult to set up, provided you can record a range of sender values.  I don't see why it wouldn't work with your temp gauge.

I'd intended to use it to correct the woefully inaccurate fuel gauge on my Duratec.  I'd got as far as calibrating it, but my plans came to naught in the end.  The gauge reading was getting corrupted by spurious voltages (of unknown origin) in the sender circuit whenever I turned the power on.

If you're interested, I can lend you my (unused) Spiyda unit to play with.

JV 

There is a temp sensor calibration curve that Easimap can alter in unlocked ECUs, unfortunately the Caterham standard ECU is locked and the calibration is not accessible. 15C is quite a difference, though, as the 2 sensors are usually quite close together in their location and would normally give a similar value, if everything is working correctly.

If both sensors use the most common Bosch calibration curve, then if the ECU sensor is correct a 680 ohm resistor in parallel with the gauge sensor will correct it from indicating 75C to show 90C. If the gauge sensor is correct, a 130 ohm resistor in series with the ECU sensor will correct it from 90C to show 75C. This is assuming that the problem to rectify is having better accuracy at normal operating temp, with less concern about accuracy elsewhere in the temp curve.

Bosch Calibration Curve