Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Winter protection

Phil Six 7

I realise this is a recurring topic but I’m aware that I need to protect the underside of my new car though the winter and was going to spray/coat it with XCP Rust blocker clear coat as it seems to highly thought of and seems much the same as ACF50.  What I’m not sure about is whether I should first apply Dinitrol, and if so, which one, the 1000? Is the idea that the Dinitrol provides a waxy layer and then you can use ACF or XCP over the top?

The answer is probably out there but I’ve not found it yet. Thanks for any help clearing this one up.

• 2 weeks later...

#4 I used Lanoguard last year. Very easy to apply, leaves a nice 'factory new' satin finish and not as thick and sticky as wayoyl etc. I recently checked mine and it still beads water and there are no signs of corrosion. It needs reapplying every year so I wouldn't use it for the tin top but not a problem with the 7 as I like to check everything over and wipe the chassis tubes as a winter job. I think it is a good choice for the 7.

Looking to protect the underbody of my seven, and like the look of Lanoguard as it looks easy to apply and drys clear.

They do a couple of kits, so interested to hear if anyone has used their "Injector Kit" for use in the grot traps etc?

This will be the first time I've done this, so also keen to get any tips/advice on how you actually go about doing this and get between the skins and inner chassis?

#14 I wiped it on all the chassis tubes and squirted it into the grot traps as best I could after brushing and blowing as much grit out as I could. I then warmed some up to let it seep between the skins and the box sections. It definitely ran between the joints. 500ml did the car with some left over for top-ups. 

Between the inner and outer skin, roughly where your right knee is a driver and left as passenger.  You can squirt treatment in at the bottom of the respective footboxes.  The left (on a K series) seems to pick up more grit & much than the right, presumably a function of being nearer the road edge.