Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Custom-made eccles-style Mirror Mounts

graearea

The Problem. Caterham's mirrors are terrible. Seriously. They're enormous and because they're not convex, you can't see anything.

My solution

My mounts take Spa/Motamec convex mirrors, which means you can change lane without just guessing if you're going to die. They're inspired by (ripped off from) Eccles' mounts (shown below), but they are mounted to your side-screens at 3 points, not 2. That's 300% better! They use the same hinge design as Eccles's mounts, but with the third screw, which hooks into the previously drilled hole that your standard Caterham mirrors mounted into. This creates much, much more stiffness than the original mounts and stops the vibration of the mirror. There is also an access hole so you can access the tightening screw for the Spa mirrors. As all holes drilled for Caterham mirrors are different, all the mounts need to be unique. Left side, right side, both different and custom.

mounted.jpeg.d9c15214c0f6e286eb58840d66a80d47.jpeg

How much are they? The first 5 sets will be £60+£6 p&p, but you pay me when you're happy. I'll make them, send them out, receive feedback, fix any problems, and then I'll be re-evaluating the price upwards. They cost more than the Eccles mounts because each one is unique.

I've been running mine for a few months now and have done >2000 miles and no problems. they are much more rigid and suffer less vibration

for all the rest of the info and to order a set, please check out https://graearea.github.io/mirror-mounts.html

thanks

John

• 1 month later...

there isn't really a generic measurement. one of my orders had exactly the same on both sides, but I've had a few people that have had a bit of trouble getting accurate enough measurements resulting in me changing the way I ask people to measure. I need to change the order form a little to reflect this. I don't know how the build manual tells you to drill the holes but you'd only need to drill the first of the mirror holes.

I've _just_ updated the form that is linked from my website.

have a look. if it's not clear gimme a poke and I can try and improve it (this is all a bit of a learning curve).

I mention this quite a lot but please, please make the dimensions as accurate as possible. there is a little bit of wiggle room in the fitting but not a lot. use some calipers, or a ruler. don't use a tape measure as they are hopeless for this kind of measuring.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set on my car. I can confirm that you have to be accurate with your measurements - John had to print up a second iteration for me (very kindly). 

The mounts work really well and have stabilised the mirrors - no more guesswork! 

I fitted the Motamecs without any issue. 

Great solution.

• 2 months later...

Just fitted a set of these courtesy of @graearea. The measurements for my RHS mirror were a bit peculiar so kudos to him for making 3 versions for me to try - one of them fitted perfectly in the end. Haven't driven with them yet but they feel a lot sturdier than the standard mirrors, and the SPA mirrors I've fitted mean I can actually see what's behind me now.

jIFZkVK.jpg

Let me add that it's worthwhile being as precise as possible with your measurements - I used a digital vernier caliper to measure mine.