Click here if you are having website access problems ×

620R - Wanted!

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

I'm at the point where I'd like to move on from my fantastic, sequential Duratec R500 and enjoy a Series 3 620R.  Perhaps as a last hurrah before decrepitude takes over and I start a gentle decline into softer toys.

Anyway, if anyone has a good condition, low mileage, standard body, good condition (did I mention good condition?) 620R that they're thinking of selling, either now or over the next few months, then please let me know.  Either on here or via BlatMail would be good ways.

Fingers crossed!

James

• Leadership Team

Yes, the R500 is pretty special.  But after seven years (eight seasons, really) it's feeling a little bit as though I've done everything that I want to do with the car more than once, and maybe there's an edge of boredom creeping in (mad thing to say about an R500) and, well, you know, sometimes it's time for a change.

That said, the CSR experience (and regrets) is pretty fresh.  It will have to be a really good 620R!

James

• Area Representative

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/13796115

362bhp enough for you? Seems that 50% of 620Rs are this colour scheme. Nigel Pugh's old car was nice but seems to have disappeared so probably sold. Sorry to see you moving on James, I am starting my journey with the R500 as you finish with my first trackday next month.

Nick

• Leadership Team

I saw that one yesterday, Nick, and it's not the car for me.  I was first in-line to view; I suspect it will have sold today, though.

Which trackday are you going on (assuming it's a Club day)?  I can't make Croft but I will be at Oulton Park.  Would be fun to have our identical cars circulating together!

James

• Area Representative

I'm doing a day at Castle Combe on 19th September to get to know the car on track. Done about 2000 road miles now so getting to know the car but need a track to make full use of the performance. Need to get it remapped by Steve Greenald before next year as there is a big hole in the power curve and look at upgrade to suspension as it feels too soft. Other than that it's great so far.

N

• Leadership Team

Nick - that all makes sense. 

We should talk separately about the other topics.  On engine mapping Steve G has performed miracles on my car, removing the famous R500 torque hole, delivering Caterham Car's advertised peak power level and providing wonderful driveability.  He did the work on Luke Steven's impressive rolling road facility.

On suspension, after working through three set-ups over the past few years, I believe I have finally found the sweet spot.  Nitron used my car over a three week period to develop a new, matched spring and NTR-1 set up specifically for Duratec Caterhams.  I think it hasn't been commercially released yet but their work has transformed my R500.  It now has better on-road comfort than was ever previously the case - but it also delivers great trackday performance.  After many years of frustration and disappointments I am finally very happy with the suspension; Nitron have cracked it, in my view.

James