Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which dry sump setup do I have?

Rich_tea

My 2005 SV apparently started life with a 2.3 motor but the original owner rebuilt the car in 2015 with a 2.0 Duratec motor in 420R spec.

I can't identify the type of oil tank in the car as it is different from others I've seen on the internet so any advice would be welcome.

OilTank.thumb.jpg.68482de3f0201159c91ecbf94ea8ee4d.jpg

Hopefully the picture is clear enough but it's mounted on the left rear side of the engine compartment beneath the air filter (removed for clarity).

I've now had a chance to get underneath.  

DrySump.thumb.jpg.28853a59e4acc2ba3d780056c01e2716.jpg

The sump itself appears to be the Duratec item listed on Caterham Cars website.

My main reason for wanting to understand which tank I have is so I can establish the correct oil change procedure.

Thanks both. 

7 Wonders, is the tank from Raceline?  Also, how would you improve the plumbing - presumably using braided hoses with swaged fittings rather than Jubilee clips?  Why would a circular tank be better?

DS tanks can be obtained form a range of sources, Pace made the easy clean version, ex employess now make them under the seller Indra arts on ebay, mine was made by Ralloy in York,

Round tanks allow the scavenge return to be angled onto the tank inner face and spin the oil as it enters with helps to deaerate it, higher end versions have a small separate tower for this designed and approved by Roy Millington of Millington Dioamond fame.

I would ditch the bulky and heavy steel fittings and use some nice alloy fittings with push fit Areoquip hose, no need to you steel overbraid.

Torques in Abergavenny sell a great range of unions and hose to, look to use a minimum of -12 size for both feed and scavenge.

Retuning the system in a sealed format generates a lower crankcase pressure (partial vacuum) helps reduce windage improves scavenge and reduces the amount of de aeration too so just one hose from te top face of the tank into a catch tank and a single out of the catch tank to atmosphere.

BM me and address and I can send you photos of mine for reference if this will help.