Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Low speed kangaroo 620

nonturbo

I had previously tried to 'warm' my engine a bit using broad masking tape over the top section of the main radiator on my 620s but this had absolutely no impact.

However, today I tried the suggestion from another forum thread of covering the rear of the radiator grill in the nose cone and this has had a huge impact on reducing cooling. The engine is now running fairly consistently between 80 and 90c whereas before it was literally between about 50c and 80c unless standing still.

I bought a large piece of 'foam board' from hobbycraft and cut it down to about 153cm x 110cm and used small cable ties to hold it in position. If I use this longer term I might try and get some easy to remove fixings so that I can remove it in hot weather.

Hopefully you can see it in the photo below, there is a horizontal line just above half way up the grill where the foam board stops.

I will give this a better try on the motorway to the Caterham Cars open day on Saturday and report back.

IMG_1438.jpeg.3176256b3db0403381ef82a299bc26b3.jpeg

That fix takes me back to my Dad having a radiator muff in cold weather on his old sidevalve Ford van. I honestly thought we had moved on from that period of motoring. I can see how it makes a significant difference but it really shouldn't be necessary now days. All it really achieves is to mask the underlying issues. As Mark mentioned make sure you don't overheat it if you become stuck in traffic. Please don't think that I'm being critical of your modification, I do understand what you are setting out to achieve.

Kind regards Colin