Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma - Clutch Slave Cylinder / Release Bearing for Duratec Input Shaft

SKC

Hi All,

Hope you are all well and looking forward to the new "Blatting" season just round the corner.

Wonder if anyone else has had experience of this and maybe able to help us.

Had a 150 Sigma powered Caterham come in last week for an Ultralight Flywheel and Clutch and slave cylinder replacement.  When the engine was removed, we found the gearbox had a Duratec size (spine detail and dimensions) input shaft.  This is larger than the standard Sigma input shaft and hence the slave cylinder from a Sigma won't fit.

Not sure exactly the specification of the gearbox, I believe the input shaft size changes if running a longer first gear. 

Anyway the slave cylinder fitted is made by FTE DE.  The local motor factors have been great and we tried loads of different units but can't find the right one.  Even ordering direct from the supplier, quoting the part number on the unit we have, doesn't give us the right part.  The FTE unit is plastic like the Sigma one but the unit internal bore for the input shaft is larger.

Has anyone else had experience with this?

We have in the past, modified bellhousings and made an adaptor to accept the Duratec clutch slave cylinder, but I'm trying to avoid this if possible. 

Happy blatting.

Regards

SKC

Hi Stu,

Interesting one,

Not sure on the part number you have but the FTE site (North America) as the Europe option shows sod all, offers this with a 28mm bore which will clear the 1"x23 first motion you have.

It might be the number you already have...?

https://fte.mycarparts.net/items/ZA2804.4.16

There is a number on the site and a tech email too which might help if not. - you've probably already seen thiese though.

Hope you manage to find a simple solution. 

• Area Representative

Yes I too have had this problem, Luke Stevens of Team Leo's Motorsport has been working on my car and flagged up the same issue. 
I know he ordered at least five from various sources and they were all wrong !
it may be worth you giving him a ring before you order any more.  
His number is 01638 720965

Kingsley. 

Hi Guys,

Just to update you on this, ordered one from the link above earlier today, the part number was correct on the box, the assembly inside had the smaller bore in the bearing to suit the Sigma first motion shaft, not the Duratec one.

Looks like modifying the bellhousing and fitting the Duratec slave is the way to go.......

Regards

SKC*byebye*

I'm not sure this is the case.

I think Caterham supplied the Sigma and Duratec cars, fitted with type 9 gearboxes, with different size fist motion shafts.  I have heard from customers who have had long 1st gear ratios fitted to their type 9s in Sigma powered cars and had to run the larger bore clutch slave cylinder.  We've modified a couple of bellhousing before, for these customers, but not lately.

It's going to be the only way round this issue for now.  At least if this customer should have an issue with the slave cylinder in the future, it will be a straight swap for the Duratec one instead of having to source something which doesn't appear to be available anymore.

Thank you for your comments on this thread.*smile*

Regards

SKC*byebye*