Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Verniers?

SPW

As the supersport cams are upgrades, I'd say yes worth fitting - factory tolerances when machining mean every engine built is slightly different. Having the cams timed to suit your engine just optimises everything. 

I had mine done by Oily (of this parish) and while I dont think it makes more power it definitely picks up a lot better.

One thing I'd recommend investigating is shimming the cambelt sprocket  on the crank. There is a few degrees movement once the bolt is undone meaning cams need retiming when the belt is changed next. The shim to eliminate the slack means its just like a normal belt swap.

Supersport cams (hydraulic profile), should be 50 / 44 thou lift at TDC, in my experience they are always a country mile out because they are designed to run on a different lobe centre than the stock cams and the stock pulleys are for the stock 110 lobe centre, the slack in the system also retards the cams by 4-6 degrees compounding the error. On average SS cams as installed have around 10 thou lift at TDC on the inlet and 65 on the exhaust which is around 8 degrees retarded on both cams. I keep 15 degree(1 tooth) offset dowels in stock, these can be rotated to give any offset between + and - 15 degrees, they are a pain to setup, but have the benefit of being relatively inexpensive. The tip to shim the bottom sprocket is a good one..

Oily

Thanks for the information. I have a new pair of Piper verniers, just have to decide whether it's worth fitting them so will check the current timing to see how far out it is.

#6 Oily, just to clarify, are the figures you quoted for Supersport (1.6, year 2000, 135bhp) cams of 50/44 thou the ideal values for inlet/exhaust valves respectively at TDC?

Thanks

If you have hydraulic followers then those figures are as quoted, if you have solid followers (check if there is a clearance between base of the lobe and follower) then the values are 59 thou and 47 thou lift at TDC for inlet/exhaust respectively. I will be gobsmacked if the existing timing is anywhere near, please publish what you find for general information.

Oily

Thanks Oily, will do. I'm assuming hydraulic followers as the engine has never been modified since built by Caterham, is that a reasonable assumption?

I'll drop you a PM about parts.

Some factory built cars have solid followers, just check to see if the cam lobes have a clearance to the followers, take off the cam cover, find a lobe that is pointing up and away from the follower and see of you can get a 4 thou feeler gauge between cam lobe and follower, if you can they are solid, another good indicator is that solid followers usually have a dull grey ring around the peripheral of the top like a polo mint, this is the original patina left over when the follower was hardened.  The cams do not wipe the whole surface but leave a tell tale ring.

Oily