Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Request for advice on draining coolant K series 1.4SS

The Frozen North

Good afternoon all.

I am doing my first coolant change (K series 1.4SS).

l am struggling with getting all the coolant drained. I have read lots on the forums on refilling and stupidly thought this was the easy bit!

I have taken the radiator drain plug out.What should I do next?

Is there a recommended sequence of steps?

Thank you in advance.

James

Radiator drain plug should be at the lowest point in the system (it is on my vx) opening that will get the vast majority of coolant out provided you have removed the filler cap to prevent a vacuum. Some coolant will stay in the system trapped in small corners but not enough to cause concern. Running the engine for a very short time (say 5 seconds - NO MORE) and I have never had the need to do it -may remove more (but I doubt it)

Open heater valve. Remove header tank cap. Undo radiator drain plug and drain radiator. The engine block will still full of coolant, so undo bypass hose (thermostat housing to heater) at the heater end and securely plug the hose. Feed the bypass hose forwards and downward until the end is below the sump, making sure the hose is not kinked. Remove the plug and drain the coolant in engine block (except for a small quanity that will remain in the engine block that cannot be removed).

My experience with the early 1400 engine, compared to later engines, is that it is very difficult to refill without an airlock (presumably due to the different closed deck block wet liner arrangement). 

Malcolm

• Area Representative

"My experience with the early 1400 engine, compared to later engines, is that it is very difficult to refill without an airlock"

I agree. The 1.4 can be a bit more of challenge than normal to get rid of an airlock.