Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital axle diff replacement.

Nigel Riches

On my never ending trip in Caterham travels, I have installed a Ford Blackhead Zetec motor, which has a serious amount of power in standard trim, compared to the faithful old x flow donkey.

Now I am looking at a diff replacement, as the original BMC item was never designed for 170 BHP, 144 lb/ft, many years back I bought through these pages a Quaife ATB with Jigsaw CWP at the standard 3.62:1, this is now lined up for installation.

So kind gentlemen, fitting procedure would be, remove wheels, unbolt and park out of the way the propshaft, disconnect the hand brake linkage, disconnect the brake pipes,  remove brake drums,  remove brake shoes, unbolt back brake plates from axle tube, remove half shafts partially from axle tube, remove nuts from studs on diff housing, remove diff from housing, give everything a good clean to remove oil from contaminating new gaskets on assembly, and to quote the Haynes publications, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly, plus bleed the brakes".

Anything else to take into consideration here? Ok the next weak link is the half shafts and... and... and... so it goes on. 

I would really like to drive this car after many years of pi$$ing about with it, so anything you might see, that I have not please post away.

Many thanks.

Nigel.   

Jonathon, thanks for your reply, I have the assembly guide, and am trying not have an exploded view.

What I am needing is the old fashioned Haynes style publication about dismantling and reassembling the axle / differential, including, particularly, torque loading for the nuts and bolts, and any other devious underhand tricks that could be hidden 

I had a copy of this, which Stephen Hubbard sent to me, however in the intervening time, and with all the krap in the garage this is now AWOL, my bad space / time management.

Never mind, bash on. I will post a new thread for the info, I know this will "bump" the thread but there hasn't been a large readership.

Cheers.

Nigel.