Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7 series 2 1965, what engine do I have

PeteG

Hi All

My recently acquired 1965 7 needs a water pump and additionally oil filter change. I`m not entirely certain which engine is fitted  though. Its not the overhead cam one. Details on the only plate on the rocker cover give  Holbay, Martlesham Suffolk England. Kesgrave 3000  I`ve a feeling its a Ford but I`m not sure what I need to quote to obtain the parts. Any help appreciated

Regards Pete

Yes, looks to be an early (pre 711M) X-flow and hopefully built by Holbay (unless you have just got their rocker cover).  Twin 45s suggest a fairly high state of tune.  Not the original engine as the 691M block started in 1967 

What capacity does the registration document say?

Regarding water pump it looks like you need one of these Water pump Ford pre-X/Flow OHV Kent & X/Flow pre-711M 1967-70 (burtonpower.com)

Many thanks all, that sounds to be indeed the correct engine. I cant yet reference the reg documents as I`m still waiting on the DVLC to send them. Apparently theres a good few weeks backlog there.

Best wishes Pete

Just out of interest, although I'm not an expert on Series 2 Sevens, I doubt it would be the original engine, I think yours would originally have been fitted with a BMC A series, or a pre X/F 1340 or 1500, maybe a Climax, though I suspect only Series 1s had those.

Does it say anything about an engine change on the V5 or even the original buff or green log book if you have it?

As I said in #9 it cannot be the original engine as that one started production in 1967 and it is a 1965 car.

Sounds an interesting good engine though! 

Pete, does the chassis plate show an engine number (as I guess if it does that would be the original).  Also does the previous owner know any history