Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack Lambda gauge

MJW16

Evening all,

The previous owners have installed a Stack Lambda gauge in my car. It takes up the fuel gauge spot in the dash - the fuel gauge has been moved to a separate pod mount behind the gearstick. 

It's a £300+ bit of kit and provides a lambda or air/fuel mixture reading 

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/stack-wideband-lambda-gauge-249506/

if it worked I'd leave well alone, but unfortunately the display is faulty. You can only see half of the numbers so the information it provides isn't legible.

I was wondering if anyone else has one of these and actually gets any day to day benefit from using it?  I could look at options to repair or replace, but the temptation is to just remove it and put the petrol gauge back in its normal spot.

Thanks

Mike

• Leadership Team

Mike, my car has an Innovate wideband lambda controller, already fitted when I bought the car and enabling the addition of a lambda gauge giving information similar to the Stack version. I investigated fitting a gauge but the general consensus was that the information it gives is useful to someone tuning the car (although they'd have their own readout anyway) but of little use to the driver in the real world. I didn't bother and have not yet seen one fitted to another Caterham. Unless you particularly need the information it gives my thoughts would be to put the fuel gauge back in the hole!

Stu.

I find the value of lambda measurement is in the ability to log it over various engine conditions, as opposed to viewing in real time on a gauge, as interpreting it while driving is fairly futile. As with Stu's car, I use the Innovate LC-2 system that both feeds the wideband lambda value to the MBE ECU for closed loop control and allows either direct lambda logging or logging via the ECU (which is the way I do it for fine tuning the engine map on my unlocked ECU).