Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat Belt Harness

A7 OOH

I think it really depends on which side you want the buckle/release mech to be when the belts are undone. If on the outside, it can clatter over the side of the cockpit and damage the paint and sideskin. 
Can’t, for the moment, think of any other restriction (?)

Usually the slots for the tangs are not equally displaced around the mechanism - so you can’t swap them around ‘cos the mech would be upside down and the belts would not fit in any usable arrangement.

There are some 5/6 point harnesses which have the mechanism attached to the straps that go between the legs (and thus can only be used with all of the straps done up - which you may or may not regard as a benefit), which would not be handed.

The harnesses supplied with my '98 kit both had the buckle on the LHS. After SWMBO put a dent in the side skin and reading an article on Blatchat, I took the buckle apart and swapped the passenger side to have it fixed to the RHS. Within the buckle there is one fixed peg and 4 spring loaded. You could if you want have the buckle fixed to the crutch strap or one of the shoulder straps.

Manufacturers then started supplying them with buckles on the belt fixed to the tunnel.