Click here if you are having website access problems ×

160 Oil pressure high

Mark_P09

Hi all,

My first post on here. I bought a 3 year old 160S a few weeks ago. During my last drive the oil pressure gage shot up into the red and stayed there. The car was freshly serviced and MOT'd before I collected it.

Any idea what's causing this? Just went out for a short drive to see if it was still doing it and it has. May be my imagination but after such a short drive the engine seemed very hot.

I have a 3 month warranty on it, but I don't want to drive it 80 miles to the dealership if it's going to do potential damage.

Cheers,

Mark

Just thought i'd add that the dealership got back to me extremely quickly this morning. They thought it might be an electrical issue based on my description of the problem and that the car would be safe to drive. I had a play around behind the dash this morning as they suggested and thought while doing so I felt the slightest of 'clicks'. I then turned the engine on and... 4bar, so this indeed seems to have solved the problem.

Whilst i'm not experienced whatsoever in car maintenance naturally i'm hoping I won't continue to have any issues i'm looking on anything that does happen as an opportunity to learn rather than put me off owning a Caterham. The mechanical nature rather than being a laptop on wheels makes me think i could perhaps do so.

Thanks to those who offered advice, it's much appreciated and I look forward to being part of this community!