Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why don't my indicators indicate when they are working?

mandalman

Top of my upgrade list - usable indicators

I don't know whether I have the standard system that came with a 1999 Superlight R put all I have for indicator control on the dash are two little soft push black nipples. One for left and one for right. There are no blinking lights, no buzzers or clicks, no up or down position to indicate on or off. I just have to remember to turn them off or look at the side indicators - the offside one I can just about see from my position on a lowered floor and the near side one,  just a complete mystery.

Perhaps this was the Superlight way to 'add lightness' but I'd sacrifice a few grams for a blinking light or a buzzer.

I'm not the worlds most naturally gifted tinkerer and don't like the idea of drilling extra holes in my CF dash (because I'll probably **** it up), but I will if I have to, so whats the best solution?

[moderator edited to remove bad language]

• Leadership Team

As standard a 1999 SLR would have had the same indicator setup as other Caterhams of the time, a toggle switch on the dash and a green warning light above it.

Stu.

The standard light set up, as Stu describes, is not very prominent and easy to miss, meaning that you might leave the indicator flashing.

On both my cars I have fitted a much larger and brighter flasher light to the far right of the panel. Admittedly it means drilling into the dash, but is is not a very difficult operation, and I feel a lot more comfortable having it there.