Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Jack Webb motorsport brakes

p.mole1

I fitted a set of these earlier in the year. I used them for the first time at Cadwell and the they were fine 100% better than the Cast iron offering from Triumph.  Ok they are not quite as well finished as the Caterham kit but they are a fraction of the cost. Once bedded in they worked flawlessly loads more feel and much less pedal pressure required 

• Area Representative

How much do the calipers weigh? I like my HiSpec Ultralite 4s.  925grams each compared to over 3kg for the originals.  £125 each from HiSpec.  Have always performed well.

Nick

So Bluenose, Tom B, 7 wonders of the world,

Which is the correct ultralight caliper for standard discs ?

Which pads, still running standard rears brakes and pads so not to upset the balance?

Would I need to replace the master cylinder?

The bigger 4 pots save weight but the bigger discs add a lot back on ?

Do I need any else for fitting?

Thanks guys

So Bluenose, Tom B, 7 wonders of the world,

Which is the correct ultralight caliper for standard discs ?

Which pads, still running standard rears brakes and pads so not to upset the balance?

Would I need to replace the master cylinder?

The bigger 4 pots save weight but the bigger discs add a lot back on ?

Do I need any else for fitting?

Thanks guys

• Area Representative

UL4 C232 x2 = £250 + VAT = £300.  Mintex 1144 pads (Lotus Elise) £60.28 +VAT = £72.33. AP Uprated master cylinder 13/16" £330 .  Total upgrade £702.33 plus shipping and brake fluid.

I went your route ended up with ferodo ds2500 rear to try to dial out their efficiency, also fitted a brake aportioning valve (check your MOT regs though)

I have wound this to the point where the fronts lock first....Now the last piece of the puzzle will be some front pads to fit the Jack Webb's that will heat up a  tad faster as I cant get any temp into the fronts on track and the rears are operating well and truly in their heat zone....Its a journey :)

I already had the uprated BMC on mine, and I bought the HiSpec UL4 from a club member, so it was a straight forward fit.  I think the hoses differ from standard however, but I can't remember whether I bought these with the callipers or made something custom from Think Automotive.   

TBH I don't think the stopping power is very different from the standard callipers with 1144 pads, but I was attracted to the unsprung weight saving of nearly 2kg each side I think.  I didn't touch the rears, and the balance seems fine to me for road use, but I rarely drive it hard enough on the brakes to notice if the balance isn't quite spot on.  

A word of caution though if your considering placing an order direct with HiSpec - they do seemingly have a reputation of being hard work to deal with, with reports of poor customer service.  Maybe things have changed, but its something be mindful of.