Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cam position senser Rover K-series EU3 non VVC

rj

No - Variable RELUCTANCE - Senses the tendency of a large metal object close to the pin to "focus" a magnetic field from a magnet at the other end of the pin. The fluctuating magnetic flux through the induces a voltage in a fine coil of wire wrapped around it. Is only sensitive to rate of change, so generates a positive voltage pulse as the tooth on the crank approaches the pin, a negative voltage pulse as the tooth recedes from the pin - the point where it crosses through zero from positive to negative marks the centre of the tooth. Can generate a surprisingly large output voltage, the crank sensor generates about 10V peak to peak signal at idle and the voltage increases with engine RPM (as it is generated by rate of change, which is proportional to engine speed). I think the VVC cam sensor signal is about 3V peak to peak at idle (only two small teeth rotating at half the speed, lower rates of change).

Thanks Andrew

I knew you knew and was almost certain it would be like that because of the way it's wired.

I just need to find something VR that will be adaptable to the hole in a non-VVC cam cover without having to have the connector pointing to the sky :-p.

I'm about to adapt sequential injection and other uninteresting functions to my engine using an EFI Euro 4 ECU that will accept VR sensors only.

#7 Maybe I realised what I mistyped (through the alcoholic fog of the first post(?)-COVID 7 meeting) while you were typing and corrected it... *biglaugh*

Apologies, I tried reading your erudite response #6 (through the alcoholic fog...) but failed dismally.

Rj, you may have investigated this already but it could be worth seeing if in the setup cal you can swap to em3 or em4 for the cam as they are sometimes Hall effect if em1 and 2 are vr with efi stuff. Does depend on which unit you have obtained but worth a check