Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Any owners with experience of the Quaiffe ATB please?

DJ.

• Area Representative

Yes diff will drop on its own - just the prop to disconnect & clear the rear end of everything to make the job easy. Of course removing everything will bring up items that require replacement/upgrade. So more money spent!

I fitted one, I did not want the hassle of having to regularly service a plate type diff. Plate type diff can be noisy and clunky.However if you are using the car for motorsport and fractions of seconds matter these are the type to use. I got my Quaife diff from Burtons they were offering huge discounts at the time.

I only fitted one due to fact I had to change my diff ratio, you don't need one on the road unless you drive like a loon or have poor tyres. I was running a 150 bhp K series on 185/60 14  888 tyres on track days and I never found having an open diff to be a problem.

I think the Quaife diff is the one to use if you are mainly using the car on the road.

Thank you for your comments *smile*

I've come to the same conclusion,and as I could buy at £480 including VAT and delivery from Burton, it seems a bargain *thumbup*

Duncan

‘You only need a LSD on the road if you’re driving like a lunatic’ is an opinion that crops up fairly frequently during discussions about various types of diff. Having covered a lot of road miles in 7s fitted with open, Quaife & plate type diffs, I have to disagree with that. 

For me, a LSD isn’t about doing doughnuts or about sliding around every corner with your hair (& rear tyres) on fire. It’s about increased predictability & that delicious sense of solid connection between throttle opening & the attitude of the car. Caterhams are all about responsiveness & that fine sense of precision & I think a well set up plate type LSD really adds to that sense of connection with the car. 

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think a LSD is absolutely essential. I drove my first 7 with an open diff for over ten years & thoroughly enjoyed myself. After breaking a drive shaft (it had an Ital axle!), I decided to fit a Quaife as the general consensus seed to suggest it helped with the reliability of the Ital axle & I felt the Quaife diff was an improvement, with more grip in the wet & that increased sense of connection between the throttle opening & the car’s response. 

Moving onto a 420R with a Titan diff, that sense of being able to finely control the car’s attitude with a combination of steering & throttle took another leap forwards. The sense of connection between the throttle & the rear wheels was far more obvious than with the Quaife.

In my opinion the ability to subtly & delicately point the nose with the throttle & feel precisely the point at which rear wheel grip fades greatly adds to the enjoyment of the car. 

Yes, maintenance is a factor that needs to be considered & plate diffs do require periodic rebuilds, but for me the rewards of a plate type LSD hugely outweigh those disadvantages.