Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Bow Protectors

Saltyhair81

Mine arrived this afternoon.  I've offered them up to the 420 and 620 and it looks like the seats do need to come out, the top two rivets aren't accessible.  Though it may depend on the seats fitted, I've got the carbon tillet seats in both cars.

I'm happy with the way they look when offered up, I know they arent cheap but they do add a nice finish.  Just need to get them fitted now. 

I've added a couple of rough close up images of the part on my Instagram for anyone that's interested in the carbon etc.

https://www.instagram.com/caterham7diaries/?hl=en

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There might be sufficient adjustment on the driver's seat to pull it forward to get clearance, I've got a 90 degree drill too which should help.  Unfortunately, the passenger side is fixed, so no chance. The seat will have come out.  It will be an opportunity to clean under the seat etc.

A solid 6 hours in the garage today fitting the bow protectors.  I certainly enjoyed the process, and the result was spot on.  Nothing went wrong, all rivets out cleanly, I even got the weather gear poppers on the outside lined up perfectly.

Over the moon with the result, they look great.  Full write up to come on the blog.  Loads of pics on instagram,https://www.instagram.com/caterham7diaries/

IMG_0506a.jpg.da29af0dbda48bcb01e82b6390a113b4.jpg hole.jpg.228d6356cb3990f8ad7a0d14f7307967.jpg

The carbon sits well over the hole so it needs drilling through.  I took a lot of time thinking about how to approach it, in the end I went with free hand, with some control.  I put a line of masking tape on the paint at the lower edge of the carbon to stop it sliding down.  Then keeping the bottom of the tube fixed I lifted/rotated the tube from the top until it showed the hole.  This was performed several times, up/down etc.  Then sitting very close I held a drill bit just off the carbon, as the hole was revealed I aligned the bit.  After doing this a couple of times I eventual marked the carbon.  The bow tube was removed and the mark drilled.  As shown by the pics, the alignment was perfect.

620R passenger side installed today.  I had a few issues with a troublesome rivet that wanted to spin, plus my hand rivet tool decided to fail while locked on a rivet, I only just managed to get it off the rivet.  I turned to the airtools as a result, should have used that in the first place

IMG_0529.thumb.jpeg.38fe7ae394e79ff6a2877facfb1162d8.jpeg

No, but you do need to be careful removing it from the remains of the rivets,  it will snag.

Of course my 620 is less than a year old with only 800miles, the 420 a year before.  So I would expect the rubber to be in good condition.

If you have a look at my instagram (the link is on a previous post on this thread), you will notice I treated the rubber with a special grease.  The grease is actually a Honda part used on the S2000 to solve roof squeaks.  I originally bought it for my Exiges,  it works wonders on all rubbers, including those of the Seven.  Hopefully now it's been treated the rubber will last the lifetime of the car.

I suppose one other recommendation would be to check your carbon thoroughly before starting.  I didn't do this, and having stripped the car down found the protector selected for the 620 passenger side had an imperfection.  What appears to be a scratch under the lacquer, i.e. the lacquer is perfectly smooth, and the scratch appears underneath, most visible when rotating.  Given the car was in bits, I couldn't be bothered moaning to CC over it.  I guess my passion to moan is dwindling.  You can only see it in certain light anyway.  I've take the following photo to exaggerate the mark.

Oh of course, one other comment, if I can fit these on my own, anyone can *rofl*

IMG_0537.thumb.jpeg.d0afe340a5a4c2c7c3526361420cb037.jpeg

No seats stayed in so that's where the extra time went, plus there was two of us. Also, I knew what drill bit size to use and looked at your pictures for reference so that sped the process up somewhat. Thanks for the guide and picture on Instagram, it made it a much easier process! 

For anyone else fitting the popper in the carbon, when drilling we put masking tape below the hole in the body. We marked on this the location vertically of the hole and then pushed the bow protector over the tape tight. We drew a line round the outline of the protector on the tape. We added tape to the bow protector and marked a line that linked up with the line already on the tape showing position. Remove the bow protector and then measure the outline on the masking tape to the hole. It should be around 7.5mm to 8mm. That's your hole, 4mm if using a rivet or 3mm if it's a self tap screw.  Hope this tip is useful for anyone else.