Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mysterious gizmo

Dave W

Can someone tell me on a 16V VX Carbs '92 - what is the little gadget screwed into the block just behind the alternator (with a lead coming off it). It looks kinda like a spark plug! 8-)

I *think* its the crankshaft speed sensor, and in that function I presume it shouldnt be leaking oil from around its base?

Thanks

Dave

You won't get a deluge of oil, provided the engine isn't running of course, although some oil will seep out but soon stop. Not sure if it has 'o' ring seal or anything similar, but buy some instant gasket type material from Halfords and apply to the sender unit (after cleaning) before re-fitting to the block. You shouldn't get any more problems with it.

Hope this helps

Brent

Depends which side of the engine your alternator is on.

On a 2 litre 16V engine the crank sensor is on the left hand side (looking from drivers seat forwards...) ie under the exhaust headers. On my 1993 spec car that's just behind the alternator. On this engine all the oil galleries are on the opposite side of the engine, ie under the carbs/injection, this is where the oil pressure sender will live.

You can remove either (with the engine not running) without releasing deluges of oil, a few drips for the oil pressure sender, nothing for the crank sensor.

Jeez, getting confused now! The crank-speed-sensor (looks like a spark-plug) sits on the LEFT side (driving-direction), middle of the block, just below manifold-cylinder-No1, in a 45°angle (just guessed). And YES, most (british-registered) cars carry the alternator on this side. Mine (sensor) lost some oil, too, just took it out, new seal-ring, some sealing-stuff applied (heat-resistant), carefully put in, that was that. Dry since that day.

Hope that helps.

Marius

Follow the wire. If it goes into the ECU, it's the crank sensor (which I'm pretty sure it will be). If it goes to the dash then it's an oil pressure sender (unlikely).

If it is the crank sensor as I suspect, it can be removed without too much oil loss. It has an O-ring which you can get from QED or a Vx agent. Have you tried just tightening the allen bolt (or nut) holding it in? Mine works loose fairly regularly.

Alex

Edited by - Alex Wong on 19 Dec 2000 23:31:51

Mine leaks oil around that crank sensor too, at least that's where I think it's coming from, but it's a bugger to get a spanner on. Must be where all my oil pressure's going. By the way I'm thinking of hopefully curing my oil surge problem with an Accusump does anyone know of a pick up point into the oil gallery just after the filter that I could use?

Dave, sorry, my mistake, my car is left drive and the altenator is threfore mounted on the right side as veiwed from the cockpit.

Your leak is certainly around the crank sensor, and as Alex says they do work loose from time to time.

My only excuse is that I've been away for a long time and i get confused!

Once again, apologies, MIKE