Click here if you are having website access problems ×

k series cam belt noise

Julian H

This video illustrates the problem:
- one tooth on the pulley is 15° and as you can see there's about half a tooth of slip there, which is the 6°-7° Dave Andrews was talking about. Worst case 6°-7° crank degrees change in cam timing is significant, especially if you have big cams and valves where clearance may be marginal. I've often wondered if it would be worth turning the cams a bit to put all the tension on the non-driven (tensioner) side of the belt before doing up the crank pulley, leaving the crank pulley as far clockwise as it will go, in which case the act of tightening it will only try to move it further in the same direction. At least then you would know it was in a specific position and when replacing subsequently you could be more sure of getting it in the same place. Not much use if you don't know it was put together that way last time. And on a tuned engine I think I'd still check the timing carefully after a belt change anyway.

• 3 months later...

Hi

Somewhat belatedly, I thought it would be useful to post the outcome.

The nice chaps at PGM did my cambelt / tensioner for me.

Whilst I don't have enough knowledge to be sure about the reasons for the noise I suspect when my head gasket was replaced, the old cambelt was over tightened. It got hot in use and stretched slightly. New cambelt and tensioner installed correctly, noise went away!

Engine now sounds perfect and back to being thrashed to 8k as normal :-)

Gary, sorry I didn't think to ask to keep the old parts! It would have been useful.

J